Help! my psuedo is very aggressive, need stocking ideas

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by slipknotgrrl83, Aug 2, 2014.

1. s

slipknotgrrl83 Valued Member Member

Alright so I bought a pseudo and a six line wrasse, I know they can fight and it is with caution to house them together.
    Everything was fine until today when I came home and my six line is getting harassed and nipped at by my pseudo, I pulled him out and put him in QT but I think its too late. he is stuck in the corner breathing heavy and obviously dying. I feel so bad, I loved him. My two shrimp mysteriously died as well so im not sure if it was him but I am guessing so. So my question is What can I house with my springeri pseudo and maroon clown that will be safe to do so. I was thinking a damsel or two but I know they can be super aggressive. my tank is two empty with two fish, I want atleast one more.

2. 1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Hey slipknot, sorry to hear about this trouble :(. I never owned a pseudo but looked up some threads on them. Most to all people seemed to have difficulty with them in smaller tanks like yours and say to add them last after the other fish. They do go after shrimp so it's probably the reason for their deaths. IMO I would see if you can return him to your LFS or maybe get another clown or a fish larger than the pseudo. I've always seen them at stores but never knew they were aggressive fish - huh!?!?

3. OP
    OP
    s

yeah hes pretty but aggressive, I already have a clown so I don't think I can get another from what I have been reading . you shouldn't mix them together.He is still alive in QT for now and seems a bit better, I will head to LFS and check out my options. I was thinking maybe a few chromis or a damsel but we will see

4. 1971roadrunner

I never kept a clown fish either but I see them together in tanks smaller than yours all the time? Maybe they need to be a pair - I don't know? Go to the LFS and see about what's possible and I'm glad to hear the wrasse is doing better and I'd like to see you keep the guy. Worst case you can send the little devil of a pseudo to me as a feeder fish, that wouldn't be bad Karma for you, I don't think? Let us know what happens and good luck.

5. OP
    OP
    s

LOl yeah from what I have heard you need to get them as a pair to house multiples. I am keeping the wrasse and getting rid of pseudo- he is harassing my clown now so he HAS to go .

6. 1971roadrunner

Give him the boot! Fishtank politics will drive 'ya nutz and I'm going through it too. Even going from a 150-180g only allows me the minimum tank size for the fish I want. The fish I want most ( panther grouper ) requires 300g but that's NOT going to happen. I've had to bring fish back in the past even if I did my research and it's just part of fish keeping sometimes. At this moment I'm watching my bi-color angel harassing my coral beauty but it's under control-sort of (he's getting bigger than the other two angels and will go to the bigger tank). later

7. OP
    OP
    s

yes, wrasse is back in DT and happy. pseudo is now in QT ready to get the boot tomorrow morning.hopefully lfs will give me a store credit or something

8. 1971roadrunner

My LFS that I most go to does not offer even store (unless within 30days) credit but will always take a fish back (even years later) if I ask which is fine. I would overfeed the wrasse a little for a day or two just to get him back to great health quicker and I'm glad he's OK. That was a close one - whew!

Hi slip, I'm going to get our friend putput to maybe suggest some fish you can get. She's better at these smaller fish than I. Hey claireputput can you recommend some fish here?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  9. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Hi guys, what's cooking?
    Slipknot, what is your look you are going for because the maroon clown is sort of a mean fish and so is the pseudo-the wrasse on the other hand is really laid back.
    If the wrasse is where you are going, a blenny and a goby would make nice additions. If the tank is a 29 gallon, you are going to be pretty limited.
    If you like the clown and want two, I would take the maroon back and get a percula or a false percula pair. They are far less aggressive than the Maroon and might work with the wrasse.
    Blenny's are fun little beggars and hang out on the rock while the gobies are bottom dwellers.
    In a 29g I would be cautious about how many I put in there.
    My pseudo is in its own tank along with 2 damsels (part of the clown clan) and a blackcap basslet. It is getting along fantastically with the more aggressive damsels. I may move the basslet back to the other tank as it is much more peaceful then its tank mates. BTW, I was at the lfs today and bought a one spot foxface that is currently being harassed by my yellow tang-grr and while there I saw a maroon that had been surrendered due to aggression!
    Bottom line, size of tank matters and disposition of tank mates matter. 1971roadrunner, I still want one of those cool mean fish but just don't have the tank size for one! See you are upgrading-might as well get the 300! :)
    Good luck slipknot with the fish you get! :)

10. OP
    OP
    s

thanks I appreciate it and I have fed him 3 times today. Yes claire's input would be greatly appreciated!

11. OP
    OP
    s

Hi Claire! believe it or not, my clown is very laid back and chills by himself. he swims around with the wrasse and seems fine with him. It was definitely the pseudo that was the aggressor. The worst thing clown does is bite me when doing maintanence which is understandable because I am in his domain. what size tank is it you have your pseudo in with the others (just curious) Maybe I will look into a goby, do you recommend any one in particular. Also how do you think 2 or 3 chromis would do, I have been doing research and they say chromis are compatible with clownfish and wrass and they are pretty. Thanks for the input as I am still new to the wonderful world of saltwater!:;hi2

12. Claire Bear

Hi, I am new as well. If your clown is laid back, and a juvenile, that can change as it matures. That said, there are really no guarantees.
    I personally have a watchman. I lost one as it dived into the outlet to the sump-it was a yellow. My new one is a pink spot but they get pretty big compared to the yellow watchman. In a 29g, I would probably get the smaller size.
    The pseudo is now in a 55g having been removed from a 90g (the 90g has been upgraded to a 120g).
    I just half an hour ago separated my two clownfish-a Picasso and a snowflake. The Picasso is now in the 55g.

13. 1971roadrunner

Sorry to interfere but Claire, did you get a Picasso Trigger and a Snow Flake Eel? If so do you know what these fish are about? I'm not necessarily saying no way but...

* claireputput ignore this post :). My mind always goes to BIG fish and I just re-read your post.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  14. OP
    OP
    s

I have had my clownfish for going on 11 months now so not sure if he is a juvenile or not.... how come you separated your clowns? were they fighting? I like watchman gobies, they are cool. I will keep that in mind. Any thoughts on chromis?

15. Claire Bear

Yes, they were fighting. Chromis will be great and you can get the three you want! :)
    Sounds like the clown will be good as that is about when, at least from what I have read, they start to show aggression! :)

16. OP
    OP
    s

Thanks Claire! Another question that does not pertain to this LOL. MY QT tank water is getting cloudy, I am unsure why, I used water from DT and I have a HOB filter and powerhead. any ideas as to why it is clouding up?

17. OP
    OP
    s

Update: I returned my pseudo and got a striped blenny and chalk basslet for him. both are in qt now as it has cleared up!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice