Help!!! My Power's Out!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mistycheri, Apr 26, 2006.

1. mistycheriValued MemberMember

My power's gone out because of a bad storm that knocked a tree down that took our power lines with it. Will my fish be okay till they get the lines rigged back up and running? I don't know how long it will take them, they are have to run new lines to the power pole. I'm afraid my fish will die because there's no power to run the pump or filter. Please tell me they'll be okay. It's mainly the guppy and mollies I'm worried about, the corys will go to the top for air.

2. ShortyValued MemberMember

Is your central heating run on gas? Turn it up :) I know you will boil yourself but hey, thats why god invented bikini's :) Turn the heating up and you can always manually add air to the tank using a bicycle pump (please wash it first) if they drag their feet mending the cables. We have nursed several sstressed fish in a power down with the heating turned up and bicycle pump :) They should be ok though for a few hours at least.

3. mistycheriValued MemberMember

No....no gas heater. But I shouldn't need heat, the temp has been in the high 80's low 90's for the past few days. I'm more concerned about the air thing. I don't have a bicycle pump. ???

4. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I don't have much time left on my laptop, the battery is at 50% now.

5. not4youValued MemberMember

You can always manually create water movement in the tank. I know it's not the best suggestion but it's probably better than nothing, here goes...

Just get a large measuring cup/pitcher or some other kind of container and fill it with tank water. Then slowly dump the water back into the tank (try to simulate your filter flow). This should help keep the water oxygenated until your power comes back on.

You may also want to look into getting a battery powered air pump for the next time your power goes out. HTH.

6. ShortyValued MemberMember

Do this - it is better then my suggestion :)

7. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I don't think aeration should be too big of a concern. Just make sure the water stays warm. Wrap the tank in something, and if it gets too bad and you still have hot water, pour some of that in.

8. mistycheriValued MemberMember

No Worries, they got the power back on and the little fisheys are just fine. Thanks for all ya'lls help!

9. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Oh, good! You had me a bit scared...

10. mistycheriValued MemberMember

You?? I was sitting in front of the tank the whole time with a flashlight, watching the fish to make sure they were all okay!! :)

11. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

The one time when watching your fish isn't exactly relaxing...

12. mistycheriValued MemberMember

LOL, yea, that was stressful for me as well as the fish. I'll have to tell my husband I need a small generator for my fish tanks. :D ;D ;)

13. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

They make battery operated air pumps that run on C or D batteries for this very purpose. Most pet stores will have them or they can be ordered online from Petco, PetSmart, Drs. Foster & Smith, or That Pet Place. They run from $8 - $15 or so and can be a life and heart saver.

Rose
    :)

14. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Ohhhh, you're a godsend. I didn't know they made such things. I'm gonna order one now. Thank You!!

15. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Yes the battery powered ones like chickadee was talking about are great. When I went to visit Gunnie I bought fish and kept them in an ice chest and used the batter powered air pump all the way home. It was great.
    Glad your power is back on :)
    carol

16. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Can anyone post a fish website that sells the generators?

17. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I bought mine ar walmarts I think.
    Carol

18. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Wal-Mart huh? What department was it in? I haven't seen anything like that in the fish department.

19. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

here's one that has a few to choose from (quite a price range!!)

They also have one at:   under the fish section and air pumps

I didn't check   but I am betting on them having at least one in their fish area under air pumps.  If you have any trouble with either  of the last two just type "battery operated air pumps" in the search bar.

Rose
    :)

20. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Thanks Chickadee :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice