Help! My pleco's eye is gone!!!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by anz, Dec 18, 2012.

1. a

anz Valued Member Member

If it's not one thing, it's another!

So, I just finished treating my tank for parasites using API General cure. You dose the tank, wait 48 hours, then dose again. I just put the second dose in when my rubber lip pleco came out of hiding and his eye is gone!!! There is a red hole where his eye use to be. What do I do now?
    Can he survive with one eye? Help:(

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

You may want to isolate him while he heals and use vita chem or kordons fish protector, an injury like that may have come from aggression or a sharp ornament if it just suddenly appeared. I have tetras with one eye that do fine, I imagine a pleco would be fine considering they're nocturnal.

3. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I would be concerned that one of the cichlids had a go at it, not too uncommon in some species. A one eyed pleco will be fine if the injury heals without infection.

4. Makena95'GT

Makena95'GT Well Known Member Member

My cichlids fought any pleco I put in their tank, if it was small enough. Thankfully now they've all moved to a much bigger tank and all ignore my little baby pleco in there. My bigger pleco fights back. But yes, it wouldn't surprise me if a cichlid took his eye. Poor buddy. :(

5. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Wow, bummer. I would guess one of your cichlids as well. poor guy, yeah he'll survive if he gets thru the healing process alright.

6. OP
    OP
    a

anz Valued Member Member

I got a 10 gallon hospital tank and started treatment with melafix. Hope this will help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice