help! My pleco turning white and then to his normal colour

fish hunter

I have seen a strange thing. My pleco is been turning white for a few seconds then has turned black-his orginal pleco. I keep in my 180 gallon tank. it happens everyday. is something out of whack. my water parameters are- ammonia-0.25 nitrite- 0 nitrate- 10. please help me guys.I whatz happening. Any help will be appreciated.

x

jdhef

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but you need to get your ammonia down to 0ppm

josh40996

Yeah, great advice from jdhef about the ammonia and I don't think that his changing colour is anything to do with that personally. I would first think, from experience and other fish keeper experiences, that his changing colous is due to him trying to camouflage into his surroundings. For example, my leopard pleco, when he latches onto a rock that he likes (brown and white) he will almost instantly change his colour to a very similar colour to the rock and when he moves away from the rock, within a minute, he will be a totally normal colour. See if you can see a pattern with his colour changing and where he is in the tank. If he is on/ just moved away from something a different colour from him, and his colours are unusual, you can safely assume he is camouflaging.

fish hunter

when I checked it now the ammonia is 0. plus we don't have any driftwood or rocks matching with his unusual colour as well as his old colour. could it be because he is ready to breed

Aquarist

Good afternoon,

I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Catfish/Pleco section of the forum.

It's very common for Pleco's to alter their color patterns from time to time. It may be trying to blend in or maybe even having a mood swing. As long as you have 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and under 20 Nitrates and your pH is withing 6.5 to 8.0, more than likely the fish is fine.

I have seen my Pleco with a cow print of light and dark colors before. The fish was fine. Just moody! lol

Ken

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cr7realmadrid
Replies
Views
Wrench
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies