Help My Pleco Is Going Pale And Rotting Away

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Thomasb, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Thomasb

ThomasbNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi thanks for reading,

While I was on holiday my grandparents were coming over and feeding my fish, about 1 week in they called and said that the tank was really cloudy and that my goldfish had died. I think it could have been to do with over feeding and the food going rotten in the tank and also old age as it was about 8 years old. When I got back I prepared a bucket of clean treated water for me to put my pleco in while I cleaned the tank, I put the fish in the bucket and it was in there for 3 days while I cleaned the tank and sealed a small leak. During the 3 days I did a partial water change, had an filter running all the time and had bubbles in the water. When I put it in the bucket I didn’t notice anything wrong with it because I just wanted it out of the tank. When I put it back in the clean tank I noticed that it was pale and didn’t really have it’s pattern anymore. I also noticed that the tail was all messed up. Please can you help me with this, I am panicking and am worried that it might die.
    There is no gravel in the tank at the moment but I am going to rinse some and put it in tomorrow. The filter I am using is the Fluval 207 external filter, the water temperature is about 26 Celsius.

Here is a picture of it.

421CC7DD-FDEE-4E4B-AB40-1D32A746B3A3. I don’t know what do do with it.

Thanks Thomas

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? He has fin rot. You need to do big water changes and get those levels way down. (Unless you just replaced all the water)
    Is your tank cycled? Was there gravel in the tank before? Did you replace the filter media as well? If you still have the old gravel and filter cartridge, and they haven't completely dried out, rinse them in dechlorinated fresh water and put them back in the tank. They contain all the beneficial bacteria you need to keep ammonia and nitrite levels down. Just keeping the water clean now and feeding him a good diet (algae wafers and some fresh veggies) may allow his fins to heal back up. If he continues to be pale, his condition worsens, he gets sores, his tail gets worse, his fins start rotting or he shows no improvement over the next week, you may need to treat him with an antibiotic.

3. Debbie1986

Debbie1986Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +101
    The paleness should recover. he was under a lot of stress.

I had to clean my Featherfins tank Sunday and in less than 10 minutes, he went from a darker brown to light gray. later back in his tank he was fine. But he was only out of his tank 20 minutes total.. he was washed out looking.

Being in a bucket for 3 days, he'll just need time to adjust after the stress.

4. OP
    OP
    Thomasb

ThomasbNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    When I put the fish in the bucket for the 3 days, it was running a brand new filter because my old filter had stopped working, I have the old gravel still so I will rinse that and put it in, thanks for the advice. The water in the tank was put in yesterday and dechlorinated so I don’t think the ammonia levels will be high.

5. Warrion004

Warrion004New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    I wouldn’t have put the fish in the bucket for 3 days I would have put him in a different tank for those 3 days

6. OP
    OP
    Thomasb

ThomasbNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    I didn’t have a different tank, he is getting his colour back now. Not much change on his tail.

7. Warrion004

Warrion004New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    It’s fin Rot he will be fine you just have to cure it and I would invest in a quarantine tank nothing special just like a 20 gallon with a heater and filter

8. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It will take quite awhile for his tail to heal. As long as it's not getting worse. He most likely started rotting because of toxic water. Check your water parameters every two days for awhile. Do 50% water changes every week (you are using a dechlorinator, right?) There's no need to quarantine a fish with simple fin rot. It's caused by opportunistic bacteria or fungi and is not contageous. What other fish are in the tank with him? Can you post a picture of him today?

9. OP
    OP
    Thomasb

ThomasbNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    He is in the tank alone at the moment as my goldfish died about a week ago, I have been using dechlorinator for all my water and I checked the water parameters this morning and they are fine. I will post another photo tomorrow or later today as I just went out. When he is fully recovered I want to add a couple more fish, but I’m not sure what are good tank mates for plecos.

10. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What numbers are your test results? "Fine" is subjective sometimes and relative most of the time lol! Before you add any more fish, he needs to at least start healing those fins. Damaged fins are targets for other fish. We can help you determine if your tank is still adequately cycled (intensive cleaning, drying can destroy the nitrifying bacteria in a tank) and what to do if it's not. Your profile doesn't say whether you know what the nitrogen cycle is as it applies to an aquarium, so you may need to read this to even know what I'm talking about:
    Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

11. OP
    OP
    Thomasb

ThomasbNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Here he is, I have put a dome in for him and he does go in it.

Attached Files:

12. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    He colored back up nicely! Can you get a picture of his tail? Can you see any progress there? Keep up with the good 25-50% water changes every week. Common plecos produce a lot of waste.

13. OP
    OP
    Thomasb

ThomasbNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    His tail looks a bit worse as it looks like another bit of bone has broken off, the main bone bit at the top and bottom are mostly gone. Before his tail was about 2 inches I would say it is about half an inch now. I will try and get a picture of his tail tomorrow.

14. OP
    OP
    Thomasb

ThomasbNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    I also noticed today that there is a tiny snail in the tank, I think it must have come in with the new plants. I have only seen one so far, could there be more ? Is having snails in the tank bad in anyway ? Will they be ok with the recovering pleco ? Thanks

15. OP
    OP
    Thomasb

ThomasbNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Another thing my dad read somewhere that they eat prawns, is this true or should I stick to wafers. What veg would you recommend and how much of it ?

16. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I've never given my pleco prawns but he'd probably love it! Just be sure and remove any thats not eaten in 24 hours or the rotting thing can cause an ammonia spike. Mine likes raw zucchini. I cut it in 1/4 inch strips and use a fork in it to weigh it down in the tank. He also likes blanched broccoli, blanching makes it sink. You just drop raw broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute then take it out and run it under cold water. I give him dried brown and green seaweed (you can get that in fish stores), raw pumpkin when I have it, sliced like the zucchini, raw kale, collard greens and bok choy when I have it, omega one algae wafers and shrimp disks. Occasionally, i'll squirt some frozen thawed blood worms or mysis shrimp down at the bottom of the tank, well after dark, for him and the catfish.