Help - My Platy fry are dying one by one

americanninja

Just looking for some advice here, in case there is something I can do.

The background:
I purchased a platy from a LFS about 3 months ago. About a month ago, I noticed some fry swimming around in the tank and quickly realized she was giving birth to live fry. Completely shocked, as we weren't planning to have fry, so I immediately ordered a little fry floating box to keep them in. Once it arrived I placed the 12 fry into the mesh box thing and moved it into my 10G quarantine tank (I have a young green terror in there right now, because he ate one of the platys in the main tank, so I needed to separate him.

The fry have been in this tank for the past month and all appeared well. Growing gradually and eating more and more over time. They all looked healthy. Yesterday I did a 40% water change as I had not done one for a while. That's the only thing that changed, this morning I was going to feed them and noticed 2 dead fry on the bottom of the mesh box completely white and flat, as if they were dried out. Not sure what happened nor why. Later this afternoon, I checked again, and one of the fish that was swimming quite strangely (like its tail movement seemed off), appeared dead on the bottom of the mesh box.

At this point I did a quick water test using the MasterAPI test kit. Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 20. So that all looks good. Did the 40% water change do it? I have regularly been changing about 30-50% every week on this tank, because it was a newly setup as a quarantine tank (due to the Green terror incident) and NItrite levels were around 1-2. So I was doing regularly water changes to bring that down, but they were born in a high nitrite tank and went through the cycle process in the beginning, so I figured they were quite hardy.

Could the Green terror in the tank just be freaking them out? Could it be bullying from the other fry at this stage? I'm just confused and trying to understand why they appear to be dropping like flies. Water quality is good, Sponge air filter is definitely pumping in enough air for a small green terror and these fry. So I'm just trying to understand what happened that didn't happen the past month.

Here is a picture of one of the dead fry. I can't see any signs of ich or any other disease. This was the one that died in the afternoon, so it was fairly fresh death.

Attachments

• IMG_2578.jpeg
    IMG_2578.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 20

UmNick

Do you have anything floating in the box to give them some cover? Perhaps being in the box and having nowhere to feel safe from the other fish is stressing them? is it a mesh box, or plastic?

Upvote 0

americanninja

So, just since writing this, another one died and the rest looked healthy. I do my usual thing at night by pinching and crushing up Omega One Freshwater Flakes and feed them. The ones that were alive were active on the top of the water feeding on the flakes. And then about a few minutes later, 1 started laying on the bottom, then a few minutes after that I had a total of 3 laying on the bottom, looking like they are on death's doorstep.

Assuming those die as well, I will have lost 6 of the 12 just today. They were literally swimming around actively feeding and then 5 minutes later dying? I don't understand. It's the same Omega One flakes that I've had for the past 3 months and feeding all fish. If I did not know that I have been using this to feed all my fish and these fish for the past 1-3 months, I would have assumed I'm feeding them poison by the way they are responding. But I still have 6 active ones that are not copying the same behavior.

Any idea what is going on??
So, just since writing this, another one died and the rest looked healthy. I do my usual thing at night by pinching and crushing up Omega One Freshwater Flakes and feed them. The ones that were alive were active on the top of the water feeding on the flakes. And then about a few minutes later, 1 started laying on the bottom, then a few minutes after that I had a total of 3 laying on the bottom, looking like they are on death's doorstep.

Assuming those die as well, I will have lost 6 of the 12 just today. They were literally swimming around actively feeding and then 5 minutes later dying? I don't understand. It's the same Omega One flakes that I've had for the past 3 months and feeding all fish. If I did not know that I have been using this to feed all my fish and these fish for the past 1-3 months, I would have assumed I'm feeding them poison by the way they are responding. But I still have 6 active ones that are not copying the same behavior.

Any idea what is going on??
Do you have anything floating in the box to give them some cover? Perhaps being in the box and having nowhere to feel safe from the other fish is stressing them? is it a mesh box, or plastic?

Yes, I have these plastic plants that have been in their since the beginning.

Could it really be that they are just suddenly freaking out and dying and like one by one they freaking out and dying. It's very bizarre.

Yes, I have these plastic plants that have been in their since the beginning.

Could it really be that they are just suddenly freaking out and dying and like one by one they freaking out and dying. It's very bizarre.

Attachments

• IMG_2580.jpg
    IMG_2580.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Breeder nets are very stressful to fish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fajaluke
Replies
Views
ZZMak
Replies
Views
Vicncrew
Replies