Help! My Plants Keep Dying!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Fishfanatic200, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Fishfanatic200New MemberMember

So I'm still quite a beginner with having a planted tank and I thought everything was going to be great. I did lots of research but it seems like non of it paid off :(

It's a 10 gallon and I only have one amazon sword. I'm using Fluval Stratum as my substrate but I don't have any supplements. Could that be the reason they are dying?
    I've tried to have a planted tank three times but I've never been successful. Now I'm nervous to buy more.

It just seems like the sword is almost rotting from the stems and turning a clear colour, but the roots look healthy. Should I take it out of the tank or could it somehow grow back?
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong!
    Please help.

2. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

What is the stocking? What type of light are you using?

Also Amazon swords aren't the best for a 10 gallon since they grow really big, its normally best to have them in a 20 high or 29 gallon minimum.

For beginner plants you should do anubias, crypts, hornwort, elodea, java fern, java moss, bacopa, and dwarf sag.

3. BlackTeeShirt

BlackTeeShirtWell Known MemberMember

A lack of supplements, or nutrients can cause issues, but I'd want to know a bit more before calling that the cause.

A critical part of a planted tank is the lighting. What type are you using? Any technical specifications about the light (PAR, kelvin temperature, on time, etc) will help.

Also, water parameters. High levels of nitrate can cause plants damage.

4. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

How have you planted it? The 1st time i planted swords it was too deep and the leaves rooted before thevplant itself died.

5. OP
    OP
    F

Fishfanatic200New MemberMember

Well then if this one dies then I guess it's fate:confused:

And I'm still just cycling the tank. I've heard that you can put the plants in before it's cycled... or is that wrong information.
    And I'm not 100% sure the brand of lighting but it's a 20w fluorescent bulb. (Pretty sure that's right)
    I'm feeling like if anything was wrong, it would be lighting. It's on for about 10 hours a day.
    Thanks for replying so fast.

6. OP
    OP
    F

I actually thought about that last night and pulled it out of the substrate a little more. How deep do you recommend it to be planted? I can still see the top of the roots but they are so long that they poke out of the substrate at the other side.

7. OP
    OP
    F

Again, I'm not sure of the specific brand of lighting but I'm pretty sure it's a 20w fluorescent bulb. I leave it on for around 10 hours but I think that's all I can tell you about lighting. I know, it's horrible information and I should know more about but I really don't :yuck:

And I'm laughing a little bit because this is going to sound bad. I don't actually have my test kit yet... it's being mailed to me and it should be here in the 12th. I know I should have waited but that definitely didn't happen. Oops.

8. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

If you look on the bulb, it should say if it's T5 or T8.

Is the plant from a tube at petco? Tube plants commonly melt and then grow back new leaves. As long as the roots remain healthy, I'd leave it. You could try a root tab, too.

9. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I have my plants so they are just in the substrate and use tweezers ror any roots that escape

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice