Help! My Pictus Is Hurt!

Brandon Peate
Can someone tell me why a piece of the skin is missing? I have an Oscar in the tank, but the pictus is larger and I do not know if the Oscar attacked it. Could my pictus have cut herself on a rock? Could the heater have burned her? Did the Oscar attack it? Is this an ammonia burn or other chemical problem?

Crazycoryfishlady
It looks like a physical wound, either caused by decor, the heater, possibly the oscar, though I think the wound would look a bit more jagged if it was a fish wound. I personally would go with a decor cut, what kind of decor do you have?

Brandon Peate
I have a a dragon head cave and a bunch of rocks. The fish has seemed to be attached to the heater since it got cold even though the tank is in the upper 70s. I could see some of the rocks as the cause of the injury. There is a Grey rock in the back that kind of looks like it could be sharp enough.

Crazycoryfishlady
Hmmm. Those could possibly cause injury, but they don't seem like the cause to me.

I see you have knight gobies yeah? cute! I have a pair as well. For reference, they are a brackish fish, meaning half salt half freshwater.
While they will survive in freshwater, it's not where they stay in the wild, and it also makes them more prone to illness. So it would be best to either return/rehome them, or eventually set up a small brackish tank for them.
I have my two living in a 20 long, though I'm sure if I just had the two, they would be okay in a 15.

I've also noticed those gobies can be pretty violent, eating fry, they even killed a cory in one of my tanks before they got taken out.
I wouldn't say it's a long shot that your gobies could've hurt the pictus too.
It's also a bit rounder like their mouths.

What are you feeding them? Mine are little piggies who refuse veggies and love worms and frozen foods.

Brandon Peate
They get sinking pellets daily and they also love frozen foods that the get every couple days as a treat. I did ask the store about keeping knight gobies as brackish or freshwater because I also saw that they were a naturally brackish fish. The fish store I got the gobies from said they always kept their in freshwater and didn't change it. Obviously the oscar has to go when he grows a little bit which I'll be sad about but the tank is probably a little too small for him. To be honest, the entire setup will probably have to be gone by next Summer when I go to college because none of these guys can stay in a 15 or less gallon. I do love the knight gobies and hope I can have them again.

Crazycoryfishlady
They are for sure wonderful fish! I love their personalities.
I think the reason the store said that is because personally almost all brackish fish in stores are kept in fresh the whole time. Even if they're wild caught.

If you want, you could try a little hydrogen peroxide with a cotton swab over the wound, just catch the pictus in a shallow dish and gently let the peroxide over the wound. This will stop bacteria and fungus from taking hold.

So long as it doesn't get infected it should heal at max in a month, at least, in a few weeks.
One of my bettas slashed his face open I'm guessing on decor, it's been about two weeks and he's almost perfectly healed.

Brandon Peate
Thank you so much! I'll try it, and I'll weigh my options of getting rid of the pictus after she is healed and adding salt or donating the gobies and keeping it fresh.

Brandon Peate
The reason the pictus is alone is because I've had her for 7 or 8 years in three different tanks and she is a fighter!

Top Bottom