help my oscer is going mad plz help

wilsonr

Reaction score
my Oscar when the lights off he sumtimes jumps and hits himself of the tank lid he darts around when he lands whats he, doing and theres weird cobweb like stuff in the water, it lucks like slime when he kicks off it floats around the tank its mainly coming off the bog wood, and when i put a pleck in with him he tried to eat it is he dyeing please help

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you turn off the tank lights while it is already dark in your room, a sudden transition from bright to dark, can greatly scare the fish. As a result, fish can suddenly jump or dash and hit the glass (and even hurt itself). It is best to turn your tank lights off while it's still bright outside, or while your room lights are on. Then wait a few minutes until the fish gets used to the weaker room lights. And then turn the room lights off. Same in the morning!

But a few other questions: How long have you had the tank? What fish are in there? How large is the tank?

wilsonr

Reaction score
its a 3 ft long 2ft wide 18inch high the tanks bin set up 4 about 4 months i cant put anythin with him becose he will or try eat it . but when he jumps i switch the light of at 9-10 pm and when im sleeping he wakes me up when he hits the lid i havint heard him do it since i did a 60% water change and i took the bog wood out so there is no more slime stuff in the tank he seems to be happy he eats out of my hand and follows me across the tank but some times he is lazy and sulks

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OK ... so it's about a 65 gallon tank with the Oscar as the only fish in there, right? If that is the case, it's good - he has enough room and the tank is surely cycled and well (though you could post your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels). Supposing the water is good, just switch the tank and room lights on and off as I have told you - this should lessen the impact of the dark-to-light (and vice versa) transition.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If your ammonia and nitrite = 0, your Oscar should be OK in a 65 gallon tank. I don't know if he'll become lonely, but from what I know Oscars are pretty smart fish and I think they need attention. If you don't give him enough attention, who knows ... maybe he can get lonely? If you'd like another Oscar as a compation for your current Oscar, you'd need at least a 100 gallon tank for 2 Oscars. I think Gunnie has an Oscar - maybe she can help you with your questions. I am not experienced with Oscars.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oscars don't need roommates to be happy.  I think they actually prefer to be alone.  I have 2 in a 100 gal. tank and they have been fighting everyday for the last 2 or 3 weeks.  If he is no longer hitting the top of the tank, and is eating well, I'd say he is fine.  They do sulk though, so just keep that in mind.  Make sure you give him variety in his diet.  They do get bored.  If you can get some ghost shrimp cheap, that would probably perk him up a bit with the challenge of hunting live food.  He's probably fine.  You can also try floating a ping pong ball in the water. I have read some oscars like to play with them and flip them around. Mine never cared about them. Let us know if he shows any physical signs of illness.    

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom