Help My New Snail Has A Parasite!

MajinBoo

Reaction score
I need help with recommendations for what I need to do to my tetra tank. It's 55 gal, I do water changes every 2 weeks, feed once a day (a good amount to supply debris for my bottom crew) tank was switched a week ago from a 37gal and no losses. I have 1 female betta, 3 black tetras, 5 male guppies, 2 fancy male guppies, 4 neon tetra, 1 amano and 4 or 3 ghost shrimp, I want to say like 5 cory, 4 blood fin tetra, 5 red eye tetra, 1 very healthy gold mystery snail I raised since it was the size of my pinky nail, 1 nitrate snail, and I think their poached but 3 of those, 2 glass catfish, and 5 unverified fish. it might sound like a lot but they are doing well. Lastly I have one missing horn snail (baby) who I assume wondered somewhere and 2 black mystery snails bought together and quarantined the infected one. I was adding my newly bought mineral rocks for my snails and shrimp because it sounds like it would be beneficial but when I looked in my tank this morning one of my black mystery snail has a long 1/4 inch or so tube like worm stretching out of its shell from the right side of his neck if they have those. It was half a pencil think. There were also 2 thinks of stringy stuff on the tank by the infected snail and tried scraping the tank hard with the net when I pulled him out to get those things too. Now I'm sitting here wondering what I need to do to prevent my tank from being a graveyard before it happens. (I have no idea if it is contagious to the others).. I only buy from petco because I'm there a lot but I tried pet smart and got the 2 mystery, nitrate, and horn snail.. I have no problems returning them. I just care about my fish and gold snail.
462d2c1633183e9dae011d560ebcd642.jpg
cf28bed804eaa6f91d1cb8d2663bdc43.jpg
4d39aa78c8c44ddf1ab27b09549a1ce0.jpg

MajinBoo

Reaction score
MajinBoo said:
I need help with recommendations for what I need to do to my tetra tank. It's 55 gal, I do water changes every 2 weeks, feed once a day (a good amount to supply debris for my bottom crew) tank was switched a week ago from a 37gal and no losses. I have 1 female betta, 3 black tetras, 5 male guppies, 2 fancy male guppies, 4 neon tetra, 1 amano and 4 or 3 ghost shrimp, I want to say like 5 cory, 4 blood fin tetra, 5 red eye tetra, 1 very healthy gold mystery snail I raised since it was the size of my pinky nail, 1 nitrate snail, and I think their poached but 3 of those, 2 glass catfish, and 5 unverified fish. it might sound like a lot but they are doing well. Lastly I have one missing horn snail (baby) who I assume wondered somewhere and 2 black mystery snails bought together and quarantined the infected one. I was adding my newly bought mineral rocks for my snails and shrimp because it sounds like it would be beneficial but when I looked in my tank this morning one of my black mystery snail has a long 1/4 inch or so tube like worm stretching out of its shell from the right side of his neck if they have those. It was half a pencil think. There were also 2 thinks of stringy stuff on the tank by the infected snail and tried scraping the tank hard with the net when I pulled him out to get those things too. Now I'm sitting here wondering what I need to do to prevent my tank from being a graveyard before it happens. (I have no idea if it is contagious to the others).. I only buy from petco because I'm there a lot but I tried pet smart and got the 2 mystery, nitrate, and horn snail.. I have no problems returning them. I just care about my fish and gold snail.View attachment 437335View attachment 437336View attachment 437337
Update: my golden boy has it too. Is this a feature of the snail and I'm stressing over nothing?
20180511_131314.jpg
20180511_131156.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Calm down, it's all okay. Mystery snails are unique in that they actually have a tube that stays under their shell and they stretch it out sometimes to siphon air from the air, outside of the water.
Edit: I completely freaked out the first time I saw it too, I was just like WHAT ON EARTH IS THAT, WHAT IS IN MY TANK?!
it's actually a pretty common reaction lol. I have a wild and a yellow just like that, I'll take a picture of mine (if I can get one of them extending their siphon)

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi @MajinBoo
No need to panick! Its part of the snail. Try google images for "mystery snail breathing tube" anf im sure youll find similar pictures mystery snails breathe air so they use the tube to breat the surface so they font have to climb completely out of the water. It is nothing to worry about

MajinBoo

Reaction score
fjh said:
Hi @MajinBoo
No need to panick! Its part of the snail. Try google images for "mystery snail breathing tube" anf im sure youll find similar pictures mystery snails breathe air so they use the tube to breat the surface so they font have to climb completely out of the water. It is nothing to worry about
Okay thank you! I am new to the hobby and just wanted to make sure.

Rtessy said:
Calm down, it's all okay. Mystery snails are unique in that they actually have a tube that stays under their shell and they stretch it out sometimes to siphon air from the air, outside of the water.
Edit: I completely freaked out the first time I saw it too, I was just like WHAT ON EARTH IS THAT, WHAT IS IN MY TANK?!
it's actually a pretty common reaction lol. I have a wild and a yellow just like that, I'll take a picture of mine (if I can get one of them extending their siphon)
I appreciate your time on letting me know. Thank you

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
MajinBoo said:
I appreciate your time on letting me know. Thank you
Yeah, it's really weird looking isn't it?? Also, I should probably let you know, their air siphon can stretch a full four inches
Although I've only seen mine stretch about 2 inches max, but supposedly they can go four...

MajinBoo

Reaction score
Rtessy said:
Yeah, it's really weird looking isn't it?? Also, I should probably let you know, their air siphon can stretch a full four inches
Although I've only seen mine stretch about 2 inches max, but supposedly they can go four...
Yeah it's really alien like but like I said I bought those rocks on Amazon which are suppose to give snails calcium for their shells. My golden boy is very healthy he eats algae and shrimp wafers along with fish flakes. I tossed in a green bean to see if they will consume that. Any idea on how to improve my new snails health? They look neglected/malnourished from the store
1526061532992.jpg
1526061554188.jpg
1526061577960.jpg
1526061594931.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The nerite looks pretty great actually, and my mystery came in looking worse, so I'm sure they'll be fine. One thing I will say, is don't underestimate how much the mystery snails eat. They will stop eating when they're full, unlike most species, and they need meat in their diet. But really, they eat a lot. My two mystery snails eat more than my goldfish! I feed mine a mix of goldfish pellets, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, and cichlid flakes (just what I have on hand, they're really not picky). My nerites don't eat nearly as much, they rarely leave the algae patch to come down and eat some wafer, but if you don't have tons of algae they'll appreciate some wafers. If you have the calcium rocks you're probably fine, basically as long as the water isn't acidic you'll see some nice, smooth new shell growth soon. Oh and they'll love some fresh veggies occasionally, like blanched spinach or kale, or something cucumber.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
mine stretch ike 3 to 4 inches, although nce stretched that far, they dont have much control. they end up having to go higher anyways,just to get it to actually inhale air lol

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It looks awesome when they stretch all the way out. Sadly, all of mine currently seem to prefer to climb up to the top, so no fun siphon. As to the old growth, there's little that can be done. The shells grow forward over time, so just make sure they're getting good food and that the new shell growth looks good

MajinBoo

Reaction score
Bithimala said:
It looks awesome when they stretch all the way out. Sadly, all of mine currently seem to prefer to climb up to the top, so no fun siphon. As to the old growth, there's little that can be done. The shells grow forward over time, so just make sure they're getting good food and that the new shell growth looks good
Update. Well they get betta food, blood worms, tropical flakes, shrimp wafers, algae wafers, and I try to encourage algae growth because I have many bottom/algae feeders so I dont want no one out competing anyone. Anyways took about 4 days to see results but they look brighter and move a lot faster!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom