Help!!!! My Lobster Is Trying To Get Out!

Discussion in 'Hermit Crabs' started by madds, Apr 13, 2017.

1. madds

madds Valued Member Member

I know I'm in the wrong category but I'm not sure where to put this. I have a blue lobster (because my boyfriend begged for him) and I am absolutely horrified of him. I kept waking up tonight to blooping sounds and realized he was zooming back and forth across the tank, then after noticed him swimming UPSIDE DOWN and shooting out of the tank, I'm freaking out. Why is he doing this?

2. TySabol

TySabol Valued Member Member

What kind of filter do you have? Is there any type of cave or anything he can hide in plus what size tank do you have?

3. OP
    OP
    madds

It's a 5 gallon which I KNOW is too small, and I was getting him a bigger tank but now I don't know if I want him, too many sleepless nights. It's a HOB filter, which he also tries to scale. I have caves for him that he likes to hide in

4. TySabol

It honestly could be the size , they are very active creatures that will explore everything he's probably realizing how small his area is. I would recommend at least getting a 20 gallon long this will give him way more space to explore and a glass cover for it is only about 20-25 bucks

5. TySabol

It won't be long before he gets out their escape masters but if they're comfortable they shouldn't try to get out. I'd try to set up some type of makeshift screen for him so he doesn't climb out until then.

6. OP
    OP
    madds

He doesn't walk around much, he kind of just hangs out in one corner behind plants and a cave, and he hates light, this is new behaviour, but if I don't get rid of him I will get him a larger tank

7. TySabol

I'd leave the light off for a little while he'll probably relax a little bit under light they feel exposed

8. TySabol

With the right set up they can be pretty awesome to have but unfortunately that tank size is probably driving him crazy

9. OP
    OP
    madds

I never had a light for him because he seemed to hate it, but thank you, I will decide what I'm doing with him asap and if I do keep him I will be getting him a big tank soon

10. TySabol

Didn't think of this before but you said this is new behavior , is their anyway you can test the water parameters? They can produce a lot of waste in a tank that size so you could be having some sort of ammonia spike causing him to try to escape also

11. OP
    OP
    madds

I don't have a testing kit but could get one

12. TySabol

Since theirs no way to test right now I'd give him a water change of about 2 gallons. Hopefully that helps

13. OP
    OP
    madds

Okay thank you very much for replying!!

14. TySabol

No problem just post again if something changes

15. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Does he have a place to climb out of the water?

I have a crayfish in a 40g breeder with a repto waterfall filter. He has rocks that he can hide under or climb on.
    I also have a versatop so he can't escape.

I agree with changing your water. Also to treat the water with prime or something similar. If you don't have a water test kit, most pet stores will test for free.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice