Help my killifish is laying on the bottom Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by zinnaerris, Aug 7, 2014.

1. zinnaerris

zinnaerris Valued Member Member

I just got home from work and saw this!  
    I have no idea why... Numbers are good. No ammonia, no nitrites and nitrates is at 10. In the 15 gallon its just him, the female killifish and a female honey gourami. He was fine this morning.
    Any suggestions? I have a 5 gallon that i have my other honey gourami in until he gets stronger/bigger.
    Ive not seen any aggression from anyone in the tank since i moved the small gourami into the 5 gallon.
    He also really likes to play in the current from the filter. Ive posted about that before and have uploaded a video on him doing that before.
    Anyone have any idea? The female is staying very close to him. When we arent around the tank she goes over to him and hovers right next to him.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

He swam around a little bit. At first his fins were closed? I guess you would say then he opened them up and swam around like normal and now hes back to the exact same spot as before. And the female is still hovering around him like she is guarding him??? Does any of this make sense?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

zinnaerris, I have copied EricV, hopefully he can offer you some advice as he breeds these type of fish.

3. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

What species of killifish are they?

4. OP
    OP
    zinnaerris

Thank you! I have been hunti g the internet for some answer while I wait... It kinda seems like theyre trying to breed but some of things hes doing doesnt match up. However I took some pictures of both the male and female just in case.
    Not so amazing picture of the female. She looks like she is getting kinda chubby.
    Oi... Lol I don't wanna be a grandma!! Lol

Attached Files:

5. EricV

I'd lean towards it being spawning behavior. If its one of the species of killifish that generally lay their eggs in peat they just may be trying their best with an unsuitable substrate.

The female hovering nearby is a pretty strong indicator. Usually the males will try to entice the females down into the spawning medium to breed (which explains why he's down there and she's coming to visit) however with a substrate like sand they may not be able to successfully mate which would explain why the behavior you're seeing doesn't quite match up with the typical description.

6. OP
    OP
    zinnaerris

Thank you so much!... Lol so this is gonna sound funny but really.... Will they get stressed out by trying to breed and failing?... I dont want them to be unhappy and stressed... Wow that sounds funny... Lol but I really have absolutrly no experience with fish trying to breed especially with fish that are probably gonna try and fail.

7. EricV

I wouldn't expect it to be much of an issue.

8. OP
    OP
    zinnaerris

Okie dokie thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice