Help! My Kids Tank!

Tinker Betta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay so long story short, my 2 oldest kids live with my mom. I gave my daughter a female betta with a 10 gallon tank and i of course gave my son, brother, mom, and dad a betta also. Now these female bettas have been together for a few months and i had them for a while also. So they are really good and dont fight at all. I set the tank up with a heater, sponge filter, and a light. Although, i asked them to send me a picture cause my daughter (who is 9) said the tank was super dirty with algae. Apparently my brother has ordered a pleco (and honestly i think he ordered a common!!!) But, before it ships and gets to them im hoping he will cancel the order til i get some info first cause i know a common pleco will get way too large for that tank.

We are working on getting morw plants. But first things first, tge algae problem. His solution is just to order an 'algae eater' without doing his research. Is there any type of pleco you can add to a 10? If not, would a dmall school or corycats be okay?

PART_1513280921277.jpeg

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The short answer is no. No algae eating fish will get on well in a 10gal. On the other hand, a few nerite snails will make short work of the algae and live quite happily in a 10gal.

The algae issue is likely caused by a combination of too much light and high levels of nitrates. More water changes can only help.

Tinker Betta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The short answer is no. No algae eating fish will get on well in a 10gal. On the other hand, a few nerite snails will make short work of the algae and live quite happily in a 10gal.

The algae issue is likely caused by a combination of too much light and high levels of nitrates. More water changes can only help.
My brother is supposed to be taking care of the tank, and he keeps saying hes done water changes, but honestly i think itll be lucky if hes doing them weekly!

Are they maybe overfeeding?
Honestly i wish i could answer that. They live over an hour away so i can take care of it when im there, but when im not, i just dont know whats going on.

tokiodreamy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The smallest plecos require a 29g+. So a 10g is way too small. Let him know that most plecos are not temp compatible with betta. They like cooler water where bettas like 78-80.

Cory cats are meat eaters and don't eat algae. Most are not temp compatible. They also need a 20g long minimum.

A nerite snail would be perfect. I have one in my betta tank. They have cool shell colors and most bettas will tolerate them.

On another note I must ask. Are all these female bettas in a 10?! Female sororities need a minimum of a 20g long.

Like previously stated the light is most likely on for too long. It shouldn't be on for more than 6hrs. Also water changes of 30% weekly will help

Tinker Betta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The smallest plecos require a 29g+. So a 10g is way too small. Let him know that most plecos are not temp compatible with betta. They like cooler water where bettas like 78-80.

Cory cats are meat eaters and don't eat algae. Most are not temp compatible. They also need a 20g long minimum.

A nerite snail would be perfect. I have one in my betta tank. They have cool shell colors and most bettas will tolerate them.

On another note I must ask. Are all these female bettas in a 10?! Female sororities need a minimum of a 20g long.

Like previously stated the light is most likely on for too long. It shouldn't be on for more than 6hrs. Also water changes of 30% weekly will help
Yes, they were mine, and have always been in a 10. I have a 20 long that i am gifting to them for christmas, but that was just a temporary tank for them anyways. My mother in law is getting me a new tank, so im giving them my 20 long. Im also going to be putting sand on their tank, and buying up some java fern and some anacharis (quite a few of each). They do have a few pieces of anacharis is the tank, and the plant in the middle which i think is some sort of ludwigia.

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Even though your daughter is 9, she can still take care of a tank. You and your family should take the time to teach her how to properly care for fish while she is young. Fish are probably the most neglected pets because there is so much wrong information out there.

I'm pretty sure any pleco is too big to put in a 10 gallon (maybe an Otto?). They don't really clean the alge up anyways, and they poop so so much!! They probably create more alge than they could eat lol! I think your best bet are the snails or maybe shrimp, but shrimp pretty finicy when it comes to water quality in my experience.

In the end, you shouldn't get a fish/invert just for the pourose of cleaning the tank, but because you really want to own one.

Good luck with your tank adventures! Let us know how it ends!

Taff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi there, I have to agree with the advice given. No algae eating fish would be suitable for your tank especially not a plec. Adding fish to do a job rarely works out well.

Nerites snails are a great addition to any aquarium. They are just simply great with some stunning colours available and they cannot breed in freshwater. The red onion nerites are a particular favourite of mine closely followed by the zebras.

Looking at the photo it looks more like basic maintenance of scraping/scrubbing the glass regularly and then water changes.

If it is green water then it needs to be away from sunlight which can be an issue. If it continues to be a problem then a blackout can 'reset' the tank. The tank would need to be totally covered for 4 days. A bunch of towels do a good job. Zero light is essential and that means zero. No peeking and no uncovering to feed the fish. They will be fine for four days.

However if there is an underlying issue such as high nitrates, sunlight, overfeeding, lack of gravel vacuuming/water changes then the algae will come back.

Hepting_3000

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can they do a water test to find out how high the nitrates are? My money is on high nitrates and lots of light = algae. I can't tell but is beside a window? it kind of look like a plant to the right of the tank.

PS i love snails for helping to keep the tank clean.

Prism

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would try to scrub all the algae off, if its near a window, either keep the window shut, or move the tank.
Also I would try feeding about a pellet, or two for each betta, or a flake for each betta.

Also, I wouldn't be feeding the bettas tetramin.
Mabye omega one betta food, or something.

Make sure your brother cancels the order for the pleco.
Can you ask your daughter, or your brother to test the water?

The smallest pleco, and tank I would do is clown pleco, or something in a 20g.
No cory either, maybe just do some snails. Mystery, or nerite.

tokiodreamy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Some bettas will attack mystery snail antenna thinking it's food floating. So nerites who are covered by their shells are a better fit for betta. They're also more low profile and smaller so betta are more likely to accept them and not attack them.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nerite snails are definitely a good option. they do an amazing job at eating the algae in my tank, plus they are really peaceful so the betta will most likely leave them alone

corywand

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nerites also can’t reproduce in fresh water, so you won’t be overrun with baby snails.

Rok55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All good advice given. One more observation ............ the sponge filter is not sufficient for what they are doing / not doing (insufficient water changes and possible over feeding). I highly suggest getting an appropriately sized HOB and if nothing else get someone to use test strips once in a while.

Hepting_3000

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
All good advice given. One more observation ............ the sponge filter is not sufficient for what they are doing / not doing (insufficient water changes and possible over feeding). I highly suggest getting an appropriately sized HOB and if nothing else get someone to use test strips once in a while.
A sponge filter will provide just as much filter media as a hang on back filter. Don't forget the beneficial bacteria also grow on everything in the tank and what filters mostly do is to provide extra surface area for the good little bug to grow and to polish water. Plus If you put a hang on back filter on a little tank you tend to create a current that is not the most ideal for betta's, then you are turning down the water flow on the HOB anyways. From the the picture the water look nicely polished and the only way they would need to increase filter capacity (which they could to by stacking another sponge filter on top) is if they test the water and find they there is ammonia and nitrite. Adding filter capacity does not help with nitrate, only water changes and plant life do that. When nitrates build up to much and a plentiful light source combine you get algae.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom