Help, my guppy is bloated!

1. Vickymoz Initiate Member

Help, I thought my Guppy was pregnant, but I think its a male!

He's really bloated and has been for about 2 weeks now. There is no black spot which confirms he/she is not pregnant.

He is very active swimming happily around the tank. Anyone know what it could be?

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

The only thing I know of that causes bloating is an intestinal infection. When a guppy shows a roughened appearance from the scales standing on end (and you didn't say if your did or not) and it appears to be bloated, it may have an intestinal infection which distends its intestines so greatly that it cannot swim below the surface without great exertion. Some stay in an upright position.
    Cure: Try placing the bloated fish in a solution made of two tablespoonfuls of Epsom salts and two tablespoonfuls of Turk Island salt in a gallon of water. Leave it there for 4-6 hours. Then add nother gallon of water and let the fish remain in this weaker solution for twelve hours before returning it to tank. Now I got this cure off of guppies.com when I did a little research. I have never tried this treatment, so do some more research before you try it. Or, let someone else give you a recommendation from FishLore. One of the Moderators or VIP's.

Wendy

3. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

As you are not positive if you have a male or female guppy, could you post a picture? Not only would a picture help us to determine the sex, but it will also help us to determine if pregnant.

:;fIf you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the Forum Action link at the top of this page and select Edit Profile. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.