Help my guppies are sick

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Cantra, Jun 27, 2016.

  1. CantraValued MemberMember

    I got guppies on Friday this past week and everyday since I've lost a fish. I started with six and I'm down to three now. They are in a small kiddie pool pond outside that my husband set up three weeks ago he caught a few tadpoles from a puddle to cycle it and then after then when he figured enough time had passed got the fish and the test kit. Unfortunately I don't think it's cycling because both the tests I've preformed come out at ammonia .25ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, and nitrate 0 ppm. The pond is full of plants so I don't know if they are keeping it from cycling? I've also preformed two different water changes on it this weekend which doesn't seem to help with the amount of ammonia either. Ok sorry back to the fish... They've been eating a lot of mosquito larvae because there's a lot of them in the pond and before the fish start acting weird they seem to be getting really bloated and fat and then the scales on their sides around their tummies start sticking out and then they start staying just up at the surface and not swimming much and then not very long after that they die. I'm not sure if it's the ammonia that's getting them, something from having put the tadpoles in it, what they are eating, or if it's a sickness they picked up from the store. I hope someone can help me please.
     
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. peregrine

    peregrineValued MemberMember

    That is definitely not cycled. Do you have any filtration on this kiddie pool?

    What you are describing sounds like dropsy which is usually the final stages of other parasites.
     
  3. OP
    OP
    C

    CantraValued MemberMember

    I've got a sponge filter that I took from a 5 gal tank of mine inside but I know it's not much for the pool with the size it is. My husband is supposed to be picking up a better filter for it in the next couple days but it doesn't seem like it's coming fast enough
     




  4. Aquaphobia

    AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

    I agree with peregrine, it sounds more like a disease. I wouldn't worry too much about it not being cycled. With that low bioload and the massive water volume I don't think ammonia could ever get to be a problem even without plants present! The plants though will "eat" all the fish waste and so you don't really need to see nitrates.

    What test are you using? 0.25 isn't much at all and could as easily be a slight mis-reading. What's your source water? Have you tested that?
     
  5. peregrine

    peregrineValued MemberMember

    With that much water and they small of a filter you are definitely not turning over the water enough. Also what are your treating the water with? Oh and as for the ammonia, are their gills red?
     
  6. OP
    OP
    C

    CantraValued MemberMember

    I'm using the api freshwater master test kit thing where you put the water in test tubes and add the drops and all that.
    I use regular tap water and tetra aquasafe as the declorinater. I have not tested the tap water though should I?
    None of the fishes gills has been red at all

    If it is dropsy like peregrine said how do I treat it? Can I treat it?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2016
  7. peregrine

    peregrineValued MemberMember

    If the fish gills aren't red it's not ammonia poisoning. Didn't expect it to. Really the bloating and pineconing is dropsy, which is usually an internal parasite. And they very well could have had it before you got them.
     
  8. Aquaphobia

    AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

    It's a good idea to test your source water occasionally just in case something changes.
     
  9. peregrine

    peregrineValued MemberMember

    Cantra Dropsy is the last stage of another issue, usually internal parasites. There is no treatment for Dropsy, and depending on what caused it may not be transmitted. Really the best fix for Dropsy is getting all your water parameters under control so it doens't get that far
     
  10. OP
    OP
    C

    CantraValued MemberMember

    I forgot to mention on my first post but the ph is really high for this little pond but could that be causing part of the issue? Ph is 8
     
  11. Aquaphobia

    AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

    Shouldn't be a problem unless the guppies came from a very different pH and weren't acclimated to the new pH properly.
     




  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice