Help! My Friend Used Dish Soap On My Tank...

1. ArcXIV

ArcXIV Valued Member Member

So I'm rehabbing a used 125 gallon tank in my friends basement. He himself is the owner of a 180 gallon acrylic tank and several other decent size African cichlid tanks, and he has been helping me get my tank together.

Long story short, the other day I walked in while he was scrubbing down the inside of the tank with hot SOAPY water. He used dawn dish soap on my tank, and insists he has done this many times without ill effects on his fish. He also started using goo-gone and paint thinner while removing one of the seals.

I am horrified because everything I've read about cleaning old tanks states to NEVER EVER EVER use household chemicals or soaps to clean a tank.

My question is, what do I do next? Is there anything I can use that will neutralize everything he threw in there? Do I just rinse rinse rinse and then rinse some more? Or do I just need a new tank? I find it hard to believe that he has done this many times as he says, but his aquariums are healthy. What do I do?

2. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

From what I read it's my understanding that the tank is empty and being resealed?
    You should be fine as long as you rince it very thoroughly. Glass won't hold onto soap and then leach it out. Not sure about the silicone but if it is being resealed that's a non-issue.

3. OP
    OP
    ArcXIV

Yes, it's completely empty, I just finished drilling it the other day, and it is also going to be resealed. I stopped him from removing any more of the old silicone before we could rinse it out.

I know soap and chemicals will slowly kill any fish, but I keep discus and am especially paranoid about this.

4. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

Are you taking all the glass apart or resealing one panel at a time? If you're taking it all apart it may be easier to rinse each panel of glass at that stage

5. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

If you're REALLY concerned, rinse the tank out with warm water 5-10 times.

Then, fill it up with water and let it sit for 24 hours. Rinse, and repeat (literally).

After that, there's virtually no chance of soap be left.

6. OP
    OP
    ArcXIV

I was planning on doing it one panel at a time, as it is a very old, very heavy, oceanic aquarium with half inch thick glass.

7. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Relax, rinse it out thoroughly and everything will be fine. Hakuna matata. The whole not cleaning with dish soap thing is just people being paranoid.

8. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

If you're really worried, wipe it down with a weak vinegar solution. That will remove any remaining soap residue, and the vinegar solution will easily wash away.