Help my fish Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by orcbreath90, Apr 8, 2010.

1. o

orcbreath90 New Member Member

My calico fantail is staying still and she is on the the bottom with reddish gills she looks like she will die!!!!!!!!!!

HELP Please!!

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry your fish isn't well. :(
    Usually red gills indicate there's ammonia in the water.
    If you could fill in your aquarium information, it would help to have more information.
    It's found under My Settings on the blue bar at the top of the page.

3. OP
    OP
    o

orcbreath90 New Member Member

Ok did that! Now does any one know what it is? :;hurryb

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Orcbreath,
    Sorry to hear that your fish isn't feeling up to par.
    Can you post your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH please. It will be a great help.
    Best wishes,
    Ken

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I feel certain, too, that it is your ammonia levels. Goldfish produce enormous amounts of waste, and don't belong in a 4 gallon tank. The red gills are usually a sign of ammonia, as mentioned by Lucy. The ammonia burns the gills, turning them red.

The goldfish can get very big, and that weather loach can get up to 10 inches. If there is any way for you to do so, you should upgrade to a much larger tank - maybe a 40 gallon? If that isn't possible, perhaps you could find the goldie and loach a new home?

A 4 gallon tank would be great for some shrimp, or a betta, or (maybe) a couple of sparkling gouramis.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice