1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Help My Fish

1. K

Kyle22 New Member Member

I am asking for your help. I have a cycled 29 gallon planted fish tank, I just put 2 platy's, 1 small potbelly molly, and 1 small algea eater in it a week ago that came from my 10 gallon tank. The 10 gallons water was nearly identical to the 29 when put the fish in it. Both Platy's now have been at the surface in the back corner away from the filter and heater. They are not gasping for air but their mouths are right at the surface all day long. They do not move swim down but then quickly go back to the surface. They do still eat. But my water temperature is at 78 and i have a filter that is for a 40 gallon tank, Ammonia is at 0, the nitrites are at 0 the nitrates are between 10 and 20 ppm. I use the API freshwater test kit. I'm working on getting the ph down from 8.5 to 7.5 with drift wood. I have an air pump that is made for a 10 gallon tank with a 5 inch airstone. I am wondering if this is happening because the PH levels are too high or is it that the air pump is too small or something else?

2. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Hi, sorry the fish are unhappy! I read your post twice and was trying to look for what type filter you have on the 29g. If the air stone is it and no additional filtration, I fear you may not have enough filtration. The API is an excellent test kit but in this case your fish are telling you a different story! I would add some additional filtration-maybe a hob rated for at a minimum of 5 to 10 the turn over per hour, in other words a filter rated for at least 30 gallons. Good luck!

Advertisement

3. Adam Alston

Adam Alston New Member Member

Fish tend to do this all day when they are having trouble breathing with their gills in water due to a high amounts of ammonia in your water. Your pH is high because ammonia is a basic/alkaline base, meaning it will raise your pH, thats why its at 8.5. I recommend purchasing the API Ammo Lock to neutralize the ammonia throughout your tank. Run some more test on your water and study the ammonia carefully. Hope this helps.

4. OP
    OP
    K

Kyle22 New Member Member

I have a quiet flow LED PRO 30 in my tank. And I also have my 10 gallon filter on it, that was from my 10 gallon.

5. OP
    OP
    K

Kyle22 New Member Member

I use Seachem Prime for my tank, is that the same thing?

6. Adam Alston

Adam Alston New Member Member

Seachem Prime is good but it might not be as effective because it focuses on other things than just neutralizing the ammonia. API Ammo-Lock focuses on ammonia only and is highly effective. You can do the following with Sachem Prime too; Do a partial water change (20-30%), then use the product to neutralize the ammonia. The product will detoxify the ammonia (lock it up) so it is not hazardous and so your biological filter is able break it up neutralizing the ammonia.

7. OP
    OP
    K

Kyle22 New Member Member

I will be getting that today then, thank you very much!