Help My Fish Has A Growth!!

MiloandOtis

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

I went on vacation for two days and left my fish healthy, active, and with a automatic betta fish feeder running. I came home this morning to find this white mass on oneside of the gills on my fish. I'm not sure what it is or how it occurred but any thoughts on it would help. I did do a 50% water change when I got home and added in some betta fish all natural medicine for bacteria, and fin damage. It luckily doesn't act lethargic or sluggish. But it just has that spot on it I'm concerned about. Again, any thoughts on it would be greatly appreciated.

MiloandOtis

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Everyone,
I posted yesterday an image of my betta on here asking what you guys think the white mass is on my fishes gill. I'm still not quite sure what it is, but I did purchase "API Fungus Cure." It made the water lime green which it said it would. I'm supposed to wait 48 hours and then repeat the treatment. So hopefully that will do the trick. Again still not sure what it is, but my thoughts are that it's a fungus. So if you know what this is or have any thoughts please comment them down below, I'd love to hear y'all's input.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How does it look today? Is it bigger, fuzzy looking, changed color?

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi,
I had a very similar thing happen to one of my bettas, although it didn't grow as quickly as your's did. I don't recommend continuing to medicate him, as meds are unlikely to help with growths as there isn't really an infection to fight.
Here's my betta, Cassius, when his growth was still small:
image.jpeg

It quadrupled in size over time, and powerful meds like kanaplex had no effect.
I ended up surgically removing it once it became clear that it was bothering him. He recovered well and there was no sign of regrowth for a month or so, but then it reappeared and I removed it again. Again, a month or so went by and it popped up again, this time accompanied by severe swim bladder issues and a reduced appetite. I ended up euthanizing him once his quality of life had clearly reduced.
If you're up to trying to surgically remove it, give it a shot as soon as you can. If not, and he's still acting fine, or it doesn't appear to be growing any more, it's probably best to leave it alone and keep the water as clean as possible.
Best of luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom