Help! My fish Got stuck in the Filter!

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Gwenz, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Gwenz

GwenzWell Known MemberMember

HELP! My fish got stuck in the filter today, and I only bought them this morning. :'(
    I have a Juwel Rekord 60 tank, and the filter is built in. It has slits in the side and at the front where the water goes in and comes out.

I was watching my fish (I have 6x Neon tetras and 6x Zebra danios), and then I noticed that there were only 5 Zebra Danios in the tank. One of them must have swam into the filter somehow, because when I looked there he was swimming about inside the filter.

He was OK, but we had to take all the sponges and everything out of the filter to be able to get him back into the main tank. It took us 15 minutes. Luckily he seemed to be swimming fine back with his other friends in the tank.

PLEASE. How can I stop this from happening again?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Gwenz

2. Gunnie

GunnieWell Known MemberMember

I'm not familiar with that filter, but when folks have this problem with hang on back (HOB) filters, you can get a sponge that goes over the intake. Can you possibly buy sponge material suitable for aquariums and custom cut some pieces to fit over or into the slits?

3. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

You don't even need to buy a sponge, pantyhose works great... :D

4. OP
    OP
    Gwenz

Thanks, Ill try and put a sponge there as you said. :)

I noticed this morning that the fish's fin was split and that it's chasing some of the other fish in the tank. :( He seemes to be OK when he's in a corner by himself or near the bottom, but chases the other fish away when they get near him. Could this be because he might be in shock after getting stuck in the filter? And what can I do about his fin?

Thanks.
    Gwenz

5. Gunnie

GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Excellent save there Omorrokh! Great advice!

I don't know why he's chasing the other fish away. He may have been the dominant fish before he got hurt, and just does this anyway. Watch his fin for white stuff. If he starts showing fungus, you need to quarantine him and treat him with Maracyn I and Maracyn II if you can. More frequent water changes at this time is also very helpful in helping him grow back the fin more quickly, and to help prevent him from getting infection.

6. OP
    OP
    Gwenz

Thanks Gunnie, I think your right about him maybe being the dominant fish before he got hurt, he was one of the lively ones when I bought them. I'll make sure to keep an eye on him, in case anything changes, and will make my water changes more frequent.

What is Maracyn I and Maracyn II?

Thanks for the advice.
    Gwenz

7. Jai

JaiValued MemberMember

I have the same tank but I have a 96 Juwel Rekord, and I know what you mean, what I would do if I was you is keep the water level just about 0.5cm from the bottom covering those slits in the black filter box, this will make it impossibe for those Tetras/Danios getting through! 8)

8. OP
    OP
    Gwenz

Thanks Jai. I'm doing my first water change today so I might just put a little less water back in so that they won't be able to get through into the filter.

Thanks for the great advise.
    Gwenz

9. vin

vinWell Known MemberMember

Fish are hunters - predators. Right now, your fish is injured and the others can not only sense it, but 'smell' it. Your injured fish is taking his traditionally dominant stance and most likely defending himself.

10. OP
    OP
    Gwenz

That's what I thought. I think your right and that he's only trying to defend himself.

Gwenz