Help My Fish Broke In Half

1. H

Holographiccowfish New Member Member

After waking up went to feed my 20 gallon community tank and finally realized what I thought was a chunk of food in my tank was actually my gold Molly that was somehow broken in half I have had them for Half a year now and only lost 3 (2 jumped 1 Ich)
    My mom took him out since I was too upset anyways does anyone know something about what happen also he was lying on the floor a few days ago but I saw him swimming again. here’s my stock 2 black molly’s
    1 calico molly(all Mollies female) 1 sailfish molly ( very small male) 2 small loaches (I don’t know what they are) also I have 2 internal filters and a few decorations none of them are sharp.

2. phenris

phenris Valued Member Member

Had to have been one of the other fish attacking it. Fish don’t spontaneously split in half.

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

We're there two halves or only one? If there were only one, it's most likely that he died and the other fish picked at him.
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

4. OP
    OP
    H

Holographiccowfish New Member Member

Thank you, I don’t really know what happened as he was kind of the Alfa male of the tank and also the biggest one

5. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Sorry he passed, it was likely he passed and then picked at by the others. It's what would happen in nature.
    I have to say, since you don't know about the aquarium nitrogen cycle, please please read up on that, it's truly essential to fish keeping.
    Do you do water changes? If so, how often and how much? What kind of dechlorinator do you use? And you can click on the blue words to learn about the he nitrogen cycle

6. j

jack22 Valued Member Member

Other fish may have eaten some of it, causing it to break into 2 pieces.

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I agree with @Rtessy, you really should read up on the nitrogen cycle. It is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish. Many time, fish in an uncycled tank will jump out of the tank due to the water quality being bad. So I suspect that may have been what led to your two other fish jumping out of the tank. Also, being in an uncycled tank will kill fish.

After reading up on the nitrogen cycle, feel free to ask any additional question about it you may have.

best of luck.