Help! My fish ate carbon Help

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by goldiegirl, Mar 24, 2010.

1. g

goldiegirl Valued Member Member

Hi, everyone. I was changing the carbon bag in my filter, and it tore, and a bunch of carbon poured into the tank. I quickly grabbed what I could and siphoned out the rest, but as I was doing that, one of my fish came by and ate two pieces. He spit them out later, though. There are still little bits of carbon floating around in my filter, and I'm worried that some of them will get into the tank. I tried the best I could to get it out, but it was impossible to get every single piece. If anymore pieces fall into the tank, will they harm the fish? If they pick them up and spit them out, will they be okay? Thank you.

2. c

click Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't worry too much. They will probably spit them out as I don't think they have an appealing taste and they are hard too. They are probably just curious.

3. funkman262

funkman262 Well Known Member Member

Carbon doesn't release toxins after they've been adsorbed (without heat or chemical treatment) so you shouldn't need to worry about anything harming the fish.

4. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I had a carbon bag break on me a few years ago and probably 2 tablespoons or so got deposited in the tank. I got what I could out with a net and my gravel cleaner. To this day I still see pieces when I"m cleaning. It's easy to spot since I have white gravel with natural stones.

I've seen no adverse reaction so I'd say you're fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice