Help!! My fish are lying on the bottom of the tank.

1. OT4 Member Member

Where I live, it's currently 12:40, and I couldn't fall asleep so I went to look at my fish tank. I have a 20 gallon tank with 5 guppies and I'm using tetra safe start to help cycle the tank. Earlier today, when I tested my water, my ammonia was about . 5-1 and everything else was 0. My ph is about 7.6 and the water temp is 80.
    Anyway, I turned on my lights, to look in the tank, and when I did I saw one of my fish not moving, then he sank to the bottom of the tank. He stayed there for 3 minutes. I thought he was dead. He then started moving a little, and went down again. A few other fish did the same, but not for as long. Is this normal? Do fish rest a little at night? I'm so worried.

2. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Dont flash bang your fish. If you are spectating in the night use a deep red light. Itll be softer on your fish. I wouldnt recommend any though. Yes fish sleep

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Fish do rest at night & turning the light on quickly will scare them.
    Your temperature is a bit high for guppies, I'd slowly bring it down to around 75o

4. smee82 Well Known Member Member

they were sleeping. you can get moonlight leds that wont disturb them so much.

5. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

80 is fine for guppies or most fish for all that matters

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, most fish imo are better kept at their middle temperature range, not at the top of it as in their natural habitat high temperatures are only experienced for seasonal periods.

7. Guppy123 Initiate Member

Fish rest, and when they do, they sink to the bottom of the tank and stay there.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

While sleeping, they often lose their color also.

9. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Fish rest, but it's more like a state of suspended animation. The only fish that I've seen actually lie down are bettas and a few species of loach. To me, what's happening in your tank does not sound like rest.

Edit...can you exlain exactly what you mean by lying on the ground and not moving?

10. OT4 Member Member

They go to the bottom of the tank, and their bellies touch the bottom. They don't lie sideways, they still stay vertical.

11. OT4 Member Member

Okay. After doing more research, I found out that's its normal for them to sleep on either the top or bottom. I feel slot better about it now. Thanks to anyone who replied!

12. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

OK, that sounds like resting.