Help.. My First Oscar.. Rescue Looks Weird!! What Is He??

Andagny

I rescued/adopted this oscar just today and I thought he looked funny but when I got him into my quarantine tank before he goes into the 90gal he looked SUPER weird!! I mean like dwarf with a messed up jaw. ill try to put some pictures up he definitely looks tiger oscar colors.. I believe. they thought he might be a hybrid but I just looked it up and vaguely remind you but it seems that hybridization of Oscars doesn't occur? ill add newer better pics to come.. but I'm telling you HE Looks dwarf or mutant or maybe I just don't know much about oscars. it seems like he can't open and close his jaw like I see a lot of oscars doing his gills looks enlarged and kinda always open? I was told he still eats good and has an actually very hungry boy. I don't know where he is from or who the previous owner was. anyone have any ideas? I thought maybe balloon oscar?

Attachments

• IMG_1659.JPG
    IMG_1659.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1672.JPG
    IMG_1672.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 249

DecoyCat

Hi, good on you for rescuing him
At first look I thought it was a shark, it has Oscar colours but doesn't look like one to me, I agree he looks weird. I'm no expert so hopefully someone else here might know more about him.

MomeWrath

In all honesty he looks like he's deformed. Like a genetic defect. Does his mouth close completely? I had a saltwater fish with a similar mouth deformity once. I don't know what else is in your 90, but I would be leery of putting him with anyone else that might compete with him for food, because he will likely lose.

Coptapia

That’s an Oscar with a very deformed head.

Andagny

he isn't in my 90gal yet but soon will be, his not that big right now but his body is quite stubby not very long like I see most oscar, but these are not great pictures. I don't think I have yet to seen him even move his mouth it kinda hangs open but crooked, but I haven't yet fed him so ill update him when I do..... I think we named him doobie also note that the previous owner kept him in a 10 or 20gal tank... way to small for that size fish and who knows how long he had been in there.

pagoda

Tbh....and obviously there is unknown history that came with the fish...but I am wondering if he has been abused in some way cos his head and the way that the mouth isn't right and one eye is very protruded....its almost like someone tried to hit him over the head to kill him and failed

I have seen fresh caught salmon with head injuries similar to that, misshapen features etc where the fisherman has actually clubbed its head

Edited.....with him being in a small aquarium he has possibly grown these head deformities through not having enough space to turn or move freely....which is still abuse in my book

Andagny

Tbh....and obviously there is unknown history that came with the fish...but I am wondering if he has been abused in some way cos his head and the way that the mouth isn't right and one eye is very protruded....its almost like someone tried to hit him over the head to kill him and failed

I have seen fresh caught salmon with head injuries similar to that, misshapen features etc where the fisherman has actually clubbed its head

Edited.....with him being in a small aquarium he has possibly grown these head deformities through not having enough space to turn or move freely....which is still abuse in my book

if it was just his head I would agree with you about the clubbing but its like his whole body looks weird ill try and get more better pictures of him. but that is a horrifying thought that someone tried to do that to him... but at the same time.. why would they put him up for adoption.. who knows... and yeah I'm thinking either a deformity or because he was in such a small tank for who knows how long

pagoda

If someone...or maybe a pet...has attacked him, the old owner might have just wanted rid of him and since injuring him or using a small aquarium hasn't suffocated him, they decided to got rid of him by giving him away

You might need to add extra oxygenation to wherever you end up putting him cos whether injury or deformation his breathing is likely to be curtailed in some way, feeding might also be an issue for him if he cannot close his mouth properly.....he could have a broken or some sort of dislocation of his jaw

I don't think he has deformities from birth, they really do look human inflicted...whether by accident (which I find hard to believe) or though lack of knowledge on how to look after him or through malicious intentional injury

JessicaSwanlake

Oh my gosh, poor little honey! I think it looks more genetic (or maybe he was badly injured as a fry) since his mouth is pushed back into his forehead like that. I would definitely keep him by himself or with only peaceful fish otherwise he might get bullied or starve.

Coptapia

Looks probably genetic to me. The kind of deformity that has been bred on purpose in parrot cichlids.

Faytaya

Maybe he needs a tank by himself. Poor guy.

Minxxy

First thing first you need to evaluate how he eats, if he has any issues then he needs his own space so you can spoil him

Andagny

First thing first you need to evaluate how he eats, if he has any issues then he needs his own space so you can spoil him

I tried to feed him some shrimp and pellets today and nothing I even tried to give it to them close to his mouth and nothing. but ill give him a few days to settle in and get unstressed and feed him again. I was told he ate ok and his about 4inchs so I'm sure he ate before my thought right now is that he might be a balloon oscar with an attacked jaw that's been messed up?? idk though has anyone heard or know of balloon oscars?

I am most definitely going to spoil him his going to be our very beloved pet fish!! I'm excited to put him in our 90gal hopefully by the end of the week and feed him all the shrimp/insects/pellets as possible!! if anyone has any good names for him we thought dobie or doobie or hamburger, but not sure yet. his our first BIG fish and I absolutely love him already!! I hope we can make this work and make him a happy boy. but also I have noticed this fish kinda floppy swim up and down and tilt a lot but doesn't seem like he can't control it

pagoda

I am still thinking the fish has been abused...kept in the aquarium too small as you said and/or attacked in some way. The weird swimming action could be internal injury, brain damage if he was attacked around his head.....

Two things above all else that you need to be careful about....breathing and eating

With damage to his head like that, regardless of cause, it may well impact his ability to breathe and eat properly.....mashed food given by a turkey baster might be worth a try cos if he can't close his mouth properly then he can't eat in the normal way and so forth

Dch48

To me it doesn't look like abuse. More like a genetic deformity. Or, maybe, he was attacked by a bigger fish when he was young. I hope he starts eating. Normally Oscars are pigs and eat anything.

Another thought. Maybe he jumped out of his tank and landed on a hard floor or something.

Andagny

So far no luck oh the Oscar eating I’ll try different methods or if anyone has any ideas let me know. Also I have found some alarming news I found out today that it looks like he has the start of hole in the head... if he doesn’t start eating soon I’ll be very concerned. I’m starting him on treatment. I’m currently researching more about this disease

JessicaSwanlake

So far no luck oh the Oscar eating I’ll try different methods or if anyone has any ideas let me know. Also I have found some alarming news I found out today that it looks like he has the start of hole in the head... if he doesn’t start eating soon I’ll be very concerned. I’m starting him on treatment. I’m currently researching more about this disease

Are you able to ask the person/store you adopted him from what they were feeding him (or how they were feeding him)?
The best thing for hole in the head is super clean and pristine water, so frequent WCs are the ideal treatment (also if you have activated carbon in your filter that supposedly contributes to hole in the head as well).

Guppygirl88

I rescued/adopted this oscar just today and I thought he looked funny but when I got him into my quarantine tank before he goes into the 90gal he looked SUPER weird!! I mean like dwarf with a messed up jaw. ill try to put some pictures up he definitely looks tiger oscar colors.. I believe. they thought he might be a hybrid but I just looked it up and vaguely remind you but it seems that hybridization of Oscars doesn't occur? ill add newer better pics to come.. but I'm telling you HE Looks dwarf or mutant or maybe I just don't know much about oscars. it seems like he can't open and close his jaw like I see a lot of oscars doing his gills looks enlarged and kinda always open? I was told he still eats good and has an actually very hungry boy. I don't know where he is from or who the previous owner was. anyone have any ideas? I thought maybe balloon oscar?
How big is he exactly? I knew someone once who kept a young bluegill that they accidentally gill hooked - once the infection went away it looked a lot like this. I don't see Oscar in it's face I see Pacu or Piranha did they answer any questions about his history? does he eat ? the one I mentioned had to be hand fed

JackA99

Don’t think it is but looks a lot like it could be a bad hybrid of something. Parrotfish or flowerhorn maybe. Don’t even think those can successfully breed though.

Andagny

I just wanted to update everyone.. after a long battle to get him to eat and treat his hole in the head he sadly didn't make it. for a while after the rough patch at the start everything seemed good he started eating and became more alert. I was doing my best treating his hole in the head and all seem to improve. but one day he just looked slow and wasn't responding or eating. I knew that wasn't a good sign I tried desperately to do all I could to make him better but in the end it was just too much. I only had him for about a month but in that time I got attached and saw his goofy yet spunky personality who would greet me every time I passed by, I will miss him.

DecoyCat

So sorry to hear this, you did the best you could, be proud of yourself. See you around the site

Dch48

Get yourself a nice young healthy Oscar and you will eventually get over the loss of the other one. They are very personable and act like puppies a lot of the time. Especially when they are young. Get one about 2 inches long and watch him grow. It won't take long for him to reach 8 inches in a 90 gallon tank.

Charlie’s Dad

I am very sorry for your loss. Go get one or two young ones and watch them grow up and thrive. My wife and I have a pair and they are very personable to say the least.

A huge pat on your back my friend!!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fae
Replies
Views
Dawn Michele
Replies
Views
FishFish221
Replies
Views
NavigatorBlack
Replies
Views
lilbit1120

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Members need 50 posts to use the buy, sell, trade forum. 50 posts are needed to use the private message conversation system too.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom