Help, my female guppy is hurt!

zaydmusa

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
7
I got her from petco she is in a 10 gallon with a male plakat betta(was very calm from beginning), another female and a male. I just saw her back fin looks bitten and she is barely moving but alive. I added 5 ml of aquarium salt to a 1 gallon hospital tank a few minutes ago, can someone help. (Best photo i could get, she is still alive.)
 

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,299
Reaction score
636
Location
Dallas, Texas
Experience
3 years
She looks to be in shock and very badly hurt. Unfortunately I don’t think she will recover..

If you have clove oil I would recommend you euthanize her. Also remove the other guppies ASAP.

Although Bettas can be peaceful and friendly to tankmates, some Bettas are simply too aggressive for tankmates and are best kept alone. If this is the case, your betta will continuously harass the other guppies. Guppies can also harass each other, especially males who may harass females for breeding and other males as well. In this high-stress environment it would be best to remove the guppies.

Edit: did you use tank water in the container? You may have shocked her by removing her from the water she was in before. Get her in a container with water from the tank and hopefully she will come out of shock.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
zaydmusa

zaydmusa

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
7
Crimson_687 said:
She looks to be in shock and very badly hurt. Unfortunately I don’t think she will recover..

If you have clove oil I would recommend you euthanize her. Also remove the other guppies ASAP.

Although Bettas can be peaceful and friendly to tankmates, some Bettas are simply too aggressive for tankmates and are best kept alone. If this is the case, your betta will continuously harass the other guppies. Guppies can also harass each other, especially males who may harass females for breeding and other males as well. In this high-stress environment it would be best to remove the guppies.

Edit: did you use tank water in the container? You may have shocked her by removing her from the water she was in before. Get her in a container with water from the tank and hopefully she will come out of shock.
Alright, I will euthanize her however, i got all the fish last Saturday and have been closely monitoring the tank, the betta and other male guppy showed no sign of aggression and the betta basically didn't even notice the guppies. I looked at many online guides and added plenty of hiding spaces in rocks and live plants. Could it be anything else that caused this?
 

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,299
Reaction score
636
Location
Dallas, Texas
Experience
3 years
zaydmusa said:
Alright, I will euthanize her however, i got all the fish last Saturday and have been closely monitoring the tank, the betta and other male guppy showed no sign of aggression and the betta basically didn't even notice the guppies. I looked at many online guides and added plenty of hiding spaces in rocks and live plants. Could it be anything else that caused this?
Did you put her in old tank water or new water? Transferring a fish to new water will shock them. There may still be a chance if you put her in a container of the water she was in before.

If you got them recently they may be not acclimating properly. How did you acclimate them to the tank? Did you quarantine them? What’s your parameters?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
zaydmusa

zaydmusa

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
7
zaydmusa said:
Alright, I will euthanize her however, i got all the fish last Saturday and have been closely monitoring the tank, the betta and other male guppy showed no sign of aggression and the betta basically didn't even notice the guppies. I looked at many online guides and added plenty of hiding spaces in rocks and live plants. Could it be anything else that caused this?
Also, I have just now
Crimson_687 said:
Did you put her in old tank water or new water? Transferring a fish to new water will shock them. There may still be a chance if you put her in a container of the water she was in before.

If you got them recently they may be not acclimating properly. How did you acclimate them to the tank? Did you quarantine them? What’s your parameters?
I drip acclimated them, I didn't quarantine them bc they all came from the same tank and my temp is 79, ph is ~7, nitrite and ammonia are 0 and nitrates are around 5ppm

Also, now that one female guppy is deceased should I separate the male and female as well since it is no longer a 2:1 ratio?
 

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,299
Reaction score
636
Location
Dallas, Texas
Experience
3 years
Did the female ever appear to be sick or weak? It’s not uncommon for fish to begin eating another fish that is dying, but not completely dead
 

Crimson_687

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,299
Reaction score
636
Location
Dallas, Texas
Experience
3 years
zaydmusa said:
Also, I have just now

I drip acclimated them, I didn't quarantine them bc they all came from the same tank and my temp is 79, ph is ~7, nitrite and ammonia are 0 and nitrates are around 5ppm

Also, now that one female guppy is deceased should I separate the male and female as well since it is no longer a 2:1 ratio?
You can, if you have a home for the guppy. It would also mean you won’t have any guppy fry to rehome down the line, though it’s likely she’s already going to have fry. Guppies can hold sperm for a long time, even from another male she was with at the LFS
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
zaydmusa

zaydmusa

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
7
zaydmusa said:
Also, I have just now

I drip acclimated them, I didn't quarantine them bc they all came from the same tank and my temp is 79, ph is ~7, nitrite and ammonia are 0 and nitrates are around 5ppm

Also, now that one female guppy is deceased should I separate the male and female as well since it is no longer a 2:1 ratio?
The guppy actually died on its own.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
zaydmusa

zaydmusa

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
7
Crimson_687 said:
You can, if you have a home for the guppy. It would also mean you won’t have any guppy fry to rehome down the line, though it’s likely she’s already going to have fry. Guppies can hold sperm for a long time, even from another male she was with at the LFS
I used the old tank water and now that i think about she did seem lethargic at times but i thought it was just stress from moving
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
244
Guests online
3,185
Total visitors
3,429

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom