20 Gallon Tank Help!! My female betta became sick overnight!

Rosemoss

Urgent!
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
20gal
How long has the tank been running?
June 28th
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
2 female betta imbellis, 6 Cory, one ivory mystery snail, 5 guppies, a couple of ghost shrimp
(Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
once a week
How much of the water do you change?
15-20%
What do you use to treat your water?
API stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Both
*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Once a day
How much do you feed your fish?
Bottom feeder tablet, and 4-6 betta pellet (2-3 between them)
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Custom made betta pellets, bottom feeder tablets, bloodworms
Do you feed frozen?
Every few days
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
Since June 28th
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
This morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Stiff, swimming oddly (stumbling), white around face and top of head
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No not sure what to do I’ve just isolated her Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Completely still with face above water/ swimming badly
Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I woke up and turned my tank lights on and I saw that my one of my female bettas Artemis was upright at the top of the tank. Sometimes she and the other female sleep like that so I assumed she was just slow to wake. Then I noticed a few minutes later she was trying to swim through the Amazon sword, and was just doing the equivalent of stumbling for a fish and smushing her face into the glass. That’s when I realized her mouth and top of her head looked white. I’ve isolated her and she’s very stiff and keeping her face above water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 22

Rosemoss

Urgent!
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
20gal
How long has the tank been running?
June 28th
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
2 female betta imbellis, 6 Cory, one ivory mystery snail, 5 guppies, a couple of ghost shrimp
(Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
once a week
How much of the water do you change?
15-20%
What do you use to treat your water?
API stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Both
*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Once a day
How much do you feed your fish?
Bottom feeder tablet, and 4-6 betta pellet (2-3 between them)
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Custom made betta pellets, bottom feeder tablets, bloodworms
Do you feed frozen?
Every few days
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
Since June 28th
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
This morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Stiff, swimming oddly (stumbling), white around face and top of head
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No not sure what to do I’ve just isolated her Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Completely still with face above water/ swimming badly
Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I woke up and turned my tank lights on and I saw that my one of my female bettas Artemis was upright at the top of the tank. Sometimes she and the other female sleep like that so I assumed she was just slow to wake. Then I noticed a few minutes later she was trying to swim through the Amazon sword, and was just doing the equivalent of stumbling for a fish and smushing her face into the glass. That’s when I realized her mouth and top of her head looked white. I’ve isolated her and she’s very stiff and keeping her face above water.
She’s died in mere hours and I have no idea why. Her face is very discolored

Attachments

• 159DEED6-2B84-4C3F-90B0-BD76C33C0FB2.jpeg
    159DEED6-2B84-4C3F-90B0-BD76C33C0FB2.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 15

Fisch

So sorry to read that your Betta passed. It is hard to say what caused the issue, there is a chance that she injured herself by swimming against something.
Another option would be some water quality issues she did not tolerate very well. Bettas, female or male, love pristine water conditions. They hold out a long time and then crash pretty rapidly.
Your tank is new, and you have a full stocking. 0 Nitrate makes me think there is something not correctly measuring, do you shake the second bottle vigorously for 30sec, and the vial for 1minute? With a 15-20% water change per week and the bioload I would doubt a 0ppm Nitrate reading.
Personally, my suggestion would a 50% water change at this time just to make sure the water quality would not cause more issues.

Rosemoss

So sorry to read that your Betta passed. It is hard to say what caused the issue, there is a chance that she injured herself by swimming against something.
Another option would be some water quality issues she did not tolerate very well. Bettas, female or male, love pristine water conditions. They hold out a long time and then crash pretty rapidly.
Your tank is new, and you have a full stocking. 0 Nitrate makes me think there is something not correctly measuring, do you shake the second bottle vigorously for 30sec, and the vial for 1minute? With a 15-20% water change per week and the bioload I would doubt a 0ppm Nitrate reading.
Personally, my suggestion would a 50% water change at this time just to make sure the water quality would not cause more issues.
So sorry I mistyped! It was at 10. I’m preforming a 50% now!
Now a catfish has passed. I’m treating the tank with a broad spectrum bacteria treatment and hoping for the best

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views