HELP! My dwarf gourami is sick!

Fishyboi7

Reaction score
I recently got a dwarf gouramI and 2 mystery snails for my tank. The gouramI is in a 20 gallon and it is with 6 cardinal tetras and 2 black mystery snails. Its head is brown and it has been staying at the bottom of the tank and just recently it is falling down onto its side. I hope its not too late but I fear it may be. I accept that the fish will probably die but even if it does die I would like to know the reason of its sickness and what it has.

Attachments

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fishyboi7 said:
I recently got a dwarf gouramI and 2 mystery snails for my tank. The gouramI is in a 20 gallon and it is with 6 cardinal tetras and 2 black mystery snails. Its head is brown and it has been staying at the bottom of the tank and just recently it is falling down onto its side. I hope its not too late but I fear it may be. I accept that the fish will probably die but even if it does die I would like to know the reason of its sickness and what it has.
Is your tank cycled? What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fishyboi7 said:
Sorry but I don't know what's wrong. I've heard a few people here comment on Dwarfs having genetic problems but I can't tell if this case is that. There's an emergency sheet that'd be helpful for you to fill out: Fish Emergency Template | Freshwater Fish Disease 376562
I had an issue with my fancy guppies dying and filled this out and posted it in the Freshwater Fish Disease section and got advice in time to save some of them. I wish you the best of luck in saving your Dwarf Gourami.

OP
Fishyboi7

Fishyboi7

Reaction score
Thank You, does anybody else know anything about what might be wrong.

OP
Fishyboi7

Fishyboi7

Reaction score
I do weekly tests and the ammonia and nitrite levels are fine

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fishyboi7 said:
I do weekly tests and the ammonia and nitrite levels are fine
Could you please be more exact? Also, what are the nitrates?

OP
Fishyboi7

Fishyboi7

Reaction score
Ammonia is at .25 to .50 ppm and nitrite is 0 ppm

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fishyboi7 said:
Ammonia is at .25 to .50 ppm and nitrite is 0 ppm
Ammonia’s high, I’d recommend a 25% water change daily until it gets to 0

OP
Fishyboi7

Fishyboi7

Reaction score
so is that why the gouramI is sick? Because the cardinal tetras are healthy and they have been in longer

OP
Fishyboi7

Fishyboi7

Reaction score
I got it from pet smart (I know I know but where I live it is the only place I can get fish) I got it about a week and a half ago.

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fishyboi7 said:
If nitrate is zero and you have ammonia, your tank is not cycled. Get some seachem prime and do daily water changes. Would also recommend some apI stress coat. You might want to buy a bottle of bacteria to help jumpstart your cycle. Don’t change or clean any of your filter media, you want to disturb the bacteria in you filter as little as possible. An uncycled tank could very easily make your gouramI sick.

Drewbacca

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Does it have any ulcers or missing scales. DG disease killed my two that I had, and they laid down like that the day before they kicked the bucket. I’d also agree with the above... it doesn’t sound like your tank is cycled.

johnbirg

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your tank is definitely not cycled. Dwarf gouramis, like Rams and Apistos should never be added to newly set up tanks. They should not even be added to tanks that have been set up and cycled for less than 6 months. DG's are extremely sensitive to any ammonia and nitrite. The only way to save the fish is to get it into an environment that has been set up and cycled for some time and even that may not save it.

New Threads