Help: My cories keep dying today!!

1. DuchesneWorld Member Member

So I changed my water a few days ago and everything measured well... This morning I woke up to 2 dead cories, I did a 20% water change and let it go but then this afternoon another one died and so I retested water and it was still normal. Temp: 76, pH: 7.2, GH: 8, KH: 2, NH3/4: 0-0.25, NO2: 0, NO3: ~10. Now it's been a few hours and another one is dead...any ideas what is happening!? This is awful! I don't know how to fix it because nothing is standing out as the problem!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Are you remembering to add dechlorinator? Could something have gotten in the tank (chemical, etc.)? Maybe a pH crash with such a low KH?

3. DuchesneWorld Member Member

I always add prime and when I tested the water everything is coming out so normal I'm not sure what could have gotten in. I haven't added any chemicals they haven't been exposed to before. I added a half dose of Paraguard 2 days ago bc my betta isn't eating well but they went thru treatment for ich with that some months back and all did well with it. I did get some new cories about 10 days ago so I 3/4 have died from that so I kind of figured that they maybe brought something so I started with Paraguard for a few days in a row but put the carbon back in to draw out the meds bc it didn't seem to help Duchesne with his lack of eating. But again they have been exposed to that before and I was doing large water changes before re medicating like I did before. My KH is always low so added crushed coral a few weeks ago to help maintain but I test it everyday and still add baking soda if needed, so it doesn't seem to be doing much to help. My pH goes between 6.8-7.5 relatively regularly unfortunately.

4. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

5. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

What is your tap ph and tank ph right now?

I would add in more coral because you don't have enough if your KH is only at 2. You can always add in some baking soda to increase KH short term 1/4tsp per 10g mixed in tank water. Check after an hour or two (ph and KH) and add more if necessary.

Is it possible they're still dying from whatever the first ones had (If I read that correctly, you bought some and have had quite a few die?). Is your betta in with them?

6. Phyllie Member Member

Do your dead corys have any red blotches, streaks, ulcers or wounds?

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

What are you feeding? Any pics of the fish and tank?

8. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Got a question. Is your tank cycled?

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

OP listed their water parameters in the first post.