Help my cherry barb

Lakshen99
My cherry barb has been like this for a few days now. It kinda has a sunken belly, keeps sinking, and breathing heavily. Any suggestions pls

Kribensis27
It could be internal parasites. That would explain how thin and weak it looks. Did you cycle the tank?

Lakshen99
Cory04 said:
Did you add water conditioner?
Yes of course
Kribensis27 said:
It could be internal parasites. That would explain how thin and weak it looks. Did you cycle the tank?
Can this parasite spread to other fishes, and yes tank is cycled

Kribensis27
Lakshen99 said:
Yes of course

Can this parasite spread to other fishes, and yes tank is cycled
It might, depending on the parasite, and some might already have it. Do you see anything protruding from the anus of any fish? It could be camallanus worms, which are a huge pain to deal with. I'm not good with meds, maybe RomanNoodles96 can help with that.

Roman96
Like Kribensis27 said, it could be internal parasites. However, it could also be a fast-acting internal bacterial infection. In my experience camallanus has never started this fast it was gradually over a month or so. It really doesn't seem like this barb will make it.
A201 can help more, but if it really is internal parasites, then you will need praziquantel and then levamisole, fenbendazole, or flubendazole (with the first, levamisole, being the most effective). We can't identify if this is a tapeworm, roundworm, nematode, or something else so that's why you need both the praziquantel and the levamisole (or the other two I listed). I'm not to good on bacterial infections though so if its an internal one someone else will need to help.

Something I would do which may sound gruesome is if this fish dies, squeeze it and see if worms come out. You don't have to but it would help us identify the problem.

If you have money to spend and really want to save this fish, buy something with praziquantel and levamisole, dose it as instructed (I can send a link for dosing instructions for levamisole, you have to buy levamisole as a goat/cow dewormer) and buy a broad spectrum anti bacterial med (AvalancheDave is good with antibiotics).

A201
The "wasting" symptom often indicates intestinal parasites. Usually specific to a particular fish, but can spread if tankmates are allowed to graze on an infected corpse.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom