Help My Boy Is Dying :(

1. K

Kellymarie Valued Member Member

My gourami who I've had for months is dying :(

My water is ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 20(ish)

I added 2 females a week ago and they looked to be getting on fine but today ( and I've been checking everyday) his fins were ripped and he has become listless and greyish.

I popped him into the water change bucket to examine the damage and he has always been tame eating peas and bloodworms from my hand...

Is there anyway I can help him or is he too far gone? I can't believe the change in 24 hours.

Yes the females are being rehomef I've already spoken to my lfs!

I'm so sad and I feel so guilty... :( I loved this fish!

Attached Files:

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Water changes will help promote fin growth. Perhaps if you have a QT tank put him in there for a few days and do frequent water changes.

3. IceFyre1414

IceFyre1414 Well Known Member Member

Poor guy! Can he swim properly? If so, is he swimming most of the time or sitting on the bottom?
    I reccomend putting him in a very shallow tank so it's easy for him to reach the surface, add stress coat if you have it, and change 30% of the water every day to help him recover and prevent infection. It's hard to say if he'll survive or not, but a set-up like the one I suggested should give him a good chance. Best of luck, I'm sorry this happened:(

4. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

In addition to everything @IceFyre1414 said, try not to handle or net him often, as each time it will remove some of his protective slime. Obviously you have to sometimes when treating, but keep it to a minimum.

5. OP
    OP
    K

Thankyou all for your advice!

I've done a 50 percent water change and added some stress coat in the tank.

He is just laying either at the bottom in the java fern or near the driftwood and because I know he needs to breathe and because I was scared they would finish him off overnight I've moved a whole java fern plant into a very large breeder net near the surface and he is resting in there.

I'm just worried he hasn't eaten today and is looking rather grey :(

Oh I hope he is still okay tommorow!! But I don't think I can do anymore at this time.

6. OP
    OP
    K

7. DeerPark

DeerPark New Member Member

How is he going?!