Help! My Betta's Fins! My Cory!

rafajkoc
My betta's fins are WREAKED! I don't know why. I'm thinking it's fin rot, but I'm wondering if it's self inflicted? This is the first fish I've ever had and I really don't want him to die! Please help?
IMG_20180303_074323977_LL.jpg

Zigi Zig
Unfortunately it is Fin Rot it looks your Betta is distressed due to poor water condition, overfeeding possible uneaten food the resultant stress on the Betta lowers there immunity, this making them very susceptible to attack from the bacteria present in the water. Only in rare instances will Bettas develop Fin Rot when a tank is impeccably maintained. Fin Rot is very contagious you will need place contaminated Betta in a separate quarantine tank or container and treat it there until you are sure they is healthy to prevent the disease from being transferred. In mean time it is recommend remove everything from the aquarium and wash all the and rocks with hot water. Do not use soap and follow instructions for changing the water in the aquarium. you can use most common treatment Bettafix Remedy and fallow instruction..

jess3434
First off, what size tank do you have? Is it heated, filtered and what are the parameters. Are there other fish with him? And did this happen overnight?

Most people would not recommend Bettafix because it damages their labyrinth organ. There are a lot of other remedies that are less risky.

r5n8xaw00
I am not much help, because I too am in the learning stage. You are at the right place for help, and you need to answer all the questions asked so the others can help. Learn, learn, and learn some more is the best advice I have, but act quick because the little guy depends on you for everything he needs.

rafajkoc
Oh no. That's bad. I had him in a 38 gallon community tank with about 15 other Fish. Can fin rot spread to EVERY fish? What do I do?

wolfdog01
I've never heard of fin rot being contagious. Bettas are also more prone to fin problems. I wouldn't do anything to the big tank except for more water changes for a few weeks just to be careful and test the water to make sure. Keep him in a tank by himself and do daily water changes on his tank, if that doesn't work then use meds.

rafajkoc
My tank has a fifty percent water change done every other week and it's stocked less that 50%. It's been up for a little over three months. The betta's fins were destroyed literally overnight. Are you sure it's fin rot? I didn't know it could happen that quickly.

Zigi Zig
Y
Oh no. That's bad. I had him in a 38 gallon community tank with about 15 other Fish. Can fin rot spread to EVERY fish? What do I do?
Yes Fin Rot is very contagious and will spread thru fish tank

wolfdog01
If it was overnight then it could be the other fish getting to him. What fish are in the tank?
Also, make sure to do your own research if it is fin rot, we can only help out so much and some of us could be wrong.

Zigi Zig
You dint say you got him in other tank with other fish there is possible other fish was agresive

rafajkoc
Okay, well, I did a 75 to 80% water change and turned up the heat a bit.

wolfdog01
Okay, well, I did a 75 to 80% water change and turned up the heat a bit.
What fish do you have in the 38 gal?
Do you know your parameters?
Is the betta in his own tank now or will you be moving him?
Answering these can help us decide what has a better chance of causing his fin damage.

rafajkoc
No, all my other fish are peaceful. I have 2 Mollies, 2 Platies, 5 neons, 3 kuhlI loaches, and 3 cories, a snail, and 2 minI crabs that have no interest in my fish

Parameters are
0 for both ammonia and nitrites and around 20 for nitrates

DaveyboyManc
No, all my other fish are peaceful. I have 2 Mollies, 2 Platies, 5 neons, 3 kuhlI loaches, and 3 cories, a snail, and 2 minI crabs that have no interest in my fish

Parameters are
0 for both ammonia and nitrites and around 20 for nitrates

What sex are the Mollies & Platys? I know a Betta breeder who is 100% against keeping Bettas & Platys together - but then again, its been known to have worked fine in others instances. Same with Neons. They can be fin nippers, but some can be ok. I'm just saying, don't discount attacks from the tank mates. That amount of fin damage overnight seems strange if its fin rot

rafajkoc
Perhaps that's it. I'm sorta hoping cause in that case I'll just move my betta to a new tank

DaveyboyManc
Is there blackening around the edges of his fins? I can't really tell from the picture.

If you're able to move him to a new tank, with 0 ammo, nitrites, and as low nitrates as possible, that would be ideal just incase it is fin rot. Either way, id move him. Raise your water temp in the new tank & as long as you keep the water clean, its a start.
I'm not too knowledgeable on diseases & what not, so hopefully somebody else can chime in.

Aly's_Betta
I would move him to an empty hospital tank, keep the water pristine and warm, and maybe add some betta fix. If the cause was other fish nipping him it should grow back faster than if it were fin rot. I also know there is a lot of controversy over whether betta fix has bad side effects, but after treating my betta for a week his tail got noticeably better, and is lively as ever, with nothing appearing to be going wrong. I hope this all gets better.

jess3434
If this happened overnight it is NOT finrot.

tropez
If this happened overnight it is NOT finrot.
I agree with this. Fin rot would come on over time as the fins rot away. If this happened overnight, your other fish are attacking the Betta.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
VerdeTheButterflyBetta
Replies
Views
Mmxmom
Top Bottom