Help My Betta!!!!!!!!

1. g00b Initiate Member

hi
    i own a betta and recently i have noticed it to be sick but can't figure out whyyyy or what the diagnoses is!!!!! please helpp!!!!
    Symptom:

lying on the bottom of the tank on his side

rapid breathing

his eyes are very opaque, black

his entire body is quite dark. his regular color is red/blue but its almost black now

Not moving

unresponsive

he's 3 yrs old (if that matters)

ANY HELP IS GOOD THANKS :(

2. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome To FIshlore.
    Sorry he isn't feeling well :(.
    What size tank is he in?
    Do you know about the Nitrogen Cycle?

When you mean unresponsive do you mean he is listless or doesnt move to the touch of your fishnet/hand?

3yrs old is pretty much when they start going downhill... chances are when you got him he was about a year old. He may be just old...

3. pepetj Well Known Member Member

Sorry for all you're going through.

Those symptoms usually are not good news. Your Betta is likely at the end of his life cycle.

If you managed to keep him for three years I would say you did a good job as far as providing good care of him.

I suggest you prepare to say goodbye.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

4. g00b Initiate Member

hi.
    thank u for your help and i know their life cycle is only 2-3 years. i just thought there was something we could do but we keep him quite well and the only real explanation would be his age. thanks for the help :)

5. Shadowbeam Member Member

If you boy is indeed at the end of his life cycle then be happy you did such a fantastic job getting him there! He must have had a happy life with a good owner :) So just keep that in mind xxx

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore
    Sadley, I agree, he's up there in age. :(
    The best you can do for him is make him comfortable. Check his water to be sure there's no ammonia or nitrites.
    Keep him warm and love him like you have for the past 3 years.

Best of luck, I hope he perks up.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello G00b and Welcome to Fish Lore. Sorry to hear that your Betta isn't feeling up to par. 3 years is a good long time for a Betta. Hoping for the best and sending you good thoughts!

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the Betta section of the forum.
    Ken

8. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Hi & Welcome!
    From the sounds of the symptoms I'm sorry to say it is his age catching up to him. The only thing you can do is try to make his life easier. Perhaps lower his water level to make getting to the top for air less of a struggle. Make sure he keeps eating, when fighters go off their food it is generally a bad sign. Above all else, talk to him and let him know that you love him, fighters do listen and sometimes your support makes all the difference. :;group
    What is the little darlings name?