Help My Betta!!!!! Important

1. adh/smile

adh/smile Well Known Member Member

Hey everyone,
    I am a HUGE betta lover and have owned these beautiful fish since I was little. The male betta fish I have now, Lion Heart, has been with me since around January or February (I can't remember). About a month ago his fins got sucked up into the filter in his tank and were ripped to smithereens. I've been nursing him back to health and his fins have already fully grown back, but he's had eating trouble ever since. I feed him a little bit of flake food every other day, but somehow his belly is always swollen and he floats on his side and can't swim normally. I am worried about him, I tried not feeding him for a week thinking he might be constipated, but it didn't work. Is there anything I can do for him?
    Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How have you been treating his injuries?

3. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Oh he's constipated try some daphnia bites. Also I recommend a sponge filter so that doesn't happen again

4. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

I upped the temp in his tank and gave him daily/every other day epsom salt baths. I also surrounded his filter with a plastic mat so his fins can't get sucked into grating of the filter.

5. Aquaphobia

Is there a dark line along the edge of his fins or is it growing back?

6. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

Here are a couple pictures of him before his fins were so discouragingly mangled by the percolate contraption in his tank. As you see, his fins already displayed a periphery of deep blue to black hues, so asking if there is a dark line bordering his fins is rather a difficult question to answer - but I think not. His fins are admirable and his colors are normal once again. He seems to be in perfect health...except his swollen belly problem.

7. chibijeanbean17

chibijeanbean17 New Member Member

Beautiful fish.
    Sounds like bloating, or it could be swim bladder disease; neither of which are horrible to treat, though tedious at times. If you've already tried fasting him, I would try a shelled pea. You can microwave it in a bit of his aquarium water and then mush it up. Once it's cooled you can put him in a small cup or tupperware and drop some of the pea into the water with him. I feed my bettas a bit of pea at least once every other month to help prevent bloating which can lead to sbd.

Basically what happens is their tummy gets too full and presses against the swim bladder making them unable to control how they float. Best of luck!

8. GarraGirl

GarraGirl New Member Member

I use peas with my bettas too, but sometimes even a pea won't help (it's great preventative maintenance though). If the pea doesn't work and you still think it's bloating try broccoli. Just like the peas, heat it up in some of his aquarium water and chop up the top into small enough pieces that he can eat. He won't need a lot of broccoli, just a little. Like the size of a pea ;)

9. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

Thank you guys so much for telling me about the pea and/or broccoli treatment. I will try that!
    I also just got a bigger tank for my beta and I'm going to buy decor, heater, and all the stuff necessary for a good tank. I will be able to have it fully cycled right away because of a filter media I already have in one of my other fish tanks. Is it wise to transfer my beta into the new tank right away, or would that be unwise since he is a little sick?

10. Aquaphobia

I would recommend moving to the new tank right away after proper acclimation.

11. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

Ok. Will do so. I will post a picture of the new tank as soon as I can! Thank you all for your helpful insight and advice!!!!

12. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

13. OP
    OP
    adh/smile