Help My Betta Twitching After Water Change

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Maya, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Maya

MayaNew MemberMember

I have male betta in a 5.5-gallon tank and I got him about a month ago and within the last week I've noticed he had ammonia burns on him despite the fact that I seeded his tank with cycled filter media and gravel from my other tank. I've been doing water changes to dilute the ammonia. I haven't been feeding him much either. But during my last water change I did about 25% and he's moving slow and twitching a lot and sometimes gasping and I don't know what to do I tested the water again for ammonia and it's at .50 or .25. ppm please help I don't know what to do

2. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Hi and welcome to the forum!

First, I wanted to say good for you doing research before bringing home a fish and knowing about cycling a tank etc.

Stupid question, but did you use water conditioner to remove the chrlorine/chloramines from your tap water?

Keep up with the water changes, try to keep the ammonia as low as possible. I would also recommend buying some seachem prime, as it detoxifies ammonia.

3. OP
    OP
    Maya

MayaNew MemberMember

I did use a conditioner for chlorine and chloramines, I'm going to pick up some seachem prime later today.
    Thanks so much!

4. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Please keep us posted on how he is doing!