Help My Betta Twitching After Water Change

Maya

I have male betta in a 5.5-gallon tank and I got him about a month ago and within the last week I've noticed he had ammonia burns on him despite the fact that I seeded his tank with cycled filter media and gravel from my other tank. I've been doing water changes to dilute the ammonia. I haven't been feeding him much either. But during my last water change I did about 25% and he's moving slow and twitching a lot and sometimes gasping and I don't know what to do I tested the water again for ammonia and it's at .50 or .25. ppm please help I don't know what to do

fjh

HI and welcome to the forum!

First, I wanted to say good for you doing research before bringing home a fish and knowing about cycling a tank etc.

Stupid question, but did you use water conditioner to remove the chrlorine/chloramines from your tap water?

Keep up with the water changes, try to keep the ammonia as low as possible. I would also recommend buying some seachem prime, as it detoxifies ammonia.

Maya

HI and welcome to the forum!

First, I wanted to say good for you doing research before bringing home a fish and knowing about cycling a tank etc.

Stupid question, but did you use water conditioner to remove the chrlorine/chloramines from your tap water?

Keep up with the water changes, try to keep the ammonia as low as possible. I would also recommend buying some seachem prime, as it detoxifies ammonia.
I did use a conditioner for chlorine and chloramines, I'm going to pick up some seachem prime later today.
Thanks so much!

fjh

I did use a conditioner for chlorine and chloramines, I'm going to pick up some seachem prime later today.
Thanks so much!
Please keep us posted on how he is doing!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
RikkiTikkii
Replies
Views
Ralevie
Replies