Help my betta please

1. greenbeanette Member Member

My betta has white edges on some parts of his tail. Is this finrot? I have API Fungus Cure and Maracyn Plus. Both say they treat finrot. Should I use one?

I currently have 7 harlequins in quarantine after discovering fungus (I think? They still have it despite treatment) on two of them. Maybe they got the betta sick?

This is so frustrating, I don't know what to do to make everyone healthy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I would just add some aquarium salt, and then up the water changes. Usually thats all fin rot needs. I don't like bringing out meds unless I have to :)

3. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Id start with the salt and heat like suggested. Finrot- the actual finrot is a gram negative bacterial infection that marcyn2 normally fixes. However, rotting fins can be fungal, or you can have a fungus eating the dead tissue left behind by the finrot and thus stop it by treating for finrot. Id just use salt and heat for now. If its gets real bad then marcyn2.

4. greenbeanette Member Member

Thanks guys :)

Ok that makes sense. So either way the cause is bacterial?

So water changes every other day? I'll have to wait till Friday to get some salt (money). How much do I use? Will it kill my plants? The tank is at 80F, do I need to raise it more?

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The package of salt will tell you how much to use :)

I wouldn't go much past 80, no. Mayyyybe 81 or 82, but I think you should leave it how it is and try water changes and salt first.

6. greenbeanette Member Member

Ok thanks :) Would salt help the harlequins mouth fungus too? They have 2 more days on Fungus cure.

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I personally am not a fan of salt. If it were me, I would be doing daily water changes for awhile (to keep the water as pristine as possible) and soak his food in some garlic juice (or Garlic Gaurd). Also VitaChem (a liquid fish vitamin) would probably help too. You can add drops directly to the tank or soak his food in it along with the garlic juice (or Garlic Gaurd). I've never seen Garlic Gaurd or VitaChem at any local fish stores, so I ordered mine from drsfosterandsmith.com.

Best of luck...he's a good looking Betta!

8. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Yes but bettas handled and work with salt well. It really doesnt bother them. Id say you can go 84 easy. I keep mine at 82. Just be sure to raise it slowly. Are the edges white and fuzzy or just white? That can be a sign of regrowth.

9. greenbeanette Member Member

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I'll turn the temperature up a little and do daily water changes. I guess I'll pick up some salt Friday, but don't know if I should use it lol. He has Fish protector and vitachem in his water and eats Thera A which has garlic in it. I'll try making garlic juice to add to the water. Just cut up some garlic and let it sit in tank water, right?

The edges seem to be just white, I don't see any fuzziness, which is good I hope. Near the top and the bottom of his tail, it's shorter than the rest and has a uneven edge and I don't think it was like that before? The first picture shows this, if you compare the top of the tail to the middle section. I couldn't get a picture of the bottom part of the tail, he moves when he sees the camera. But that part is even shorter and the edges are all white. His other fins seem ok. I don't know, I hope the white is regrowth.

10. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Generally people buy the minced garlic in a jar from the grocery store and just use the juice that the garlic is packed in. But I really don't think you need to add it. I think you are doing everything just fine right now.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it really doesn't look like he has anything serious wrong with him. I would just keep on eye on him to see if it gets any worse.