Help! My Betta Looks Different And I'm Scared He Is Sick

Evf485

Reaction score
So, I have had my betta for about a year and recently I had my sister caring for him (because I was in the process of moving). He is now back with me but he almost looks like under his chin is swollen and I don't remember that being there so I went back through photos and what do ya know it wasn't. I just need help identifying what is wrong so that I can take the proper measures to correct it. I am very afraid for my little guy (Tony btw) and could really use some advice.

Attachments

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah he may have swallowed something too big. Or someone overfed him thinking they were being kind. Bettas will just keep eating if you let them. If he is acting right otherwise, I wouldn't be too worried. Just feed him very sparingly for a while and see what happens.

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Evf485 said:
So, I have had my betta for about a year and recently I had my sister caring for him (because I was in the process of moving). He is now back with me but he almost looks like under his chin is swollen and I don't remember that being there so I went back through photos and what do ya know it wasn't. I just need help identifying what is wrong so that I can take the proper measures to correct it. I am very afraid for my little guy (Tony btw) and could really use some advice.
Hey, so it looks like your betta is totally fine except he has a little of a bloat issue but if he's swimming normal and acting fine, that means the bloat hasn't affected anything yet which is good! I'd suggest just fast him ( not feed) to let him digest anything left over in his system and maybe if you could, give him a deshelled pea. Because the pea is high in fiber, the betta will just poop that and along with anything left over. That's why many recommend it to help a bloated betta. A betta's stomach is about the size of their eye, meaning they need no more than 4 pellets or any kind of food given. Also, I'd warn you to soak your pellets at least 5 minutes before given, because they really do expand once in water and the size difference between a wet and dry pellet is considerable. That's why many betta owners accidentally overfeed. A betta's stomach once properly fed, should have just a tiny slight bulge to it, as any stomach should once having food. If it's too much of a buglge then that's when the betta is overfed. Another thing is quality of pellets and food, as no human food is created equal, neither is pet. There are some companies that tend to use a lot of fillers (i.e. tetra) and not bashing on them but it's just the truth. I'd avoid those like the plague and instead focus on meat based products like fish etc. And also beware what sort of fish because whole is the best and sometimes when they say fish or meal or anything meal, usually means the leftovers of a fish that all the really good parts went somewhere else and your fish gets the remaining parts like the bones etc. Now it's not bad but not as healthy as a whole fish which you get what it said, a whole fish. Omega One, Fluval bug bites, etc those are companies that have a better track record than other companies. Fluval bug bites are good because they are made with solider fly larvae and as bettas are carnivores, specifically insectivores, it's good to have a food like this. For fish food, a betta can basically eat any carnivorous-based fish food, doesn't have to be specifically betta. I feed my betta Omega One betta flakes ( I would use pellets but I like flakes better because of the order of ingredients), fluval bug bites, hikari freeze dried tubifex works, Omega one Marina pellets ( for their seafood mix ) repashy meat pie ( fed less often ) , new life spectrum betta, fruit flies, beef heart, mysis shrimp, and blood worms and I have a vitamin suuplement coming in today . Now I don't feed that in one or two days, but over the course of a week to add variety and I'm always on the lookout for new foods to add. Also I suggest feeding by hand because it greatly reduces chances of leftover foods, I wet my finger then crumple up a flake or whatever then let my betta jump for it. I suppose it gives them extra exercise and since it's done individual piece by piece, there is virtually no waste, keeping the tank cleaner. And my tank has a lid to it so I don't worry about her jumping nor have I ever saw her try to. As for the food, it's really important and obviously if you don't want a lot of different foods laying around, two great foods would just be amazing. It would add to the longevity of your betta just as it does to humans if they eat right.

Evf485

Reaction score
Thank you much! I will definitely be taking this advice because the only thing he seems to be being weird about is eating. He is swimming around a lot and has been active! thank you for easing my fear because I was honestly in tears thinking about him being sick.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom