Help! My Betta Isn't Doing So Great Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by HMiln87, Jul 25, 2019.

1. HMiln87

HMiln87New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there,

I have had my beautiful Fisher for almost a year now. He lives in a 5 gallon tank with a filter and a heater. I do partial water changes and add water conditioner every other week and do change the filter as needed. I noticed the past few days he has been very lethargic and spends most of his time on the bottom of the tank. He only comes up to get a gulp of air or to eat when I feed him. He is having some difficulties swimming and gas a pronounced silver/white bulge on both sides of his body towards the back.

Is this some kind of physical injury? Is this where his swim bladder is? Any suggestion

Attached Files:

2. Lysaell

LysaellValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +54
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hey! I’m not sure what the bulge is, but some other info would be helpful for others to help pinpoint the issue.

Could you give water parameters? And when you change the filter, how often do you do so and do you change the whole thing?

3. Guppygirl88

Guppygirl88Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What do you feed! if he is eating, I think he looks constipated have you tried to feed him a pea? It sounds like your doing everything else right sometimes if you give them a favorite dried treat or flake it can cause them to be blocked a pea should loosen him up :)

4. sinned4g63

sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +395
    Experience:
    2 years
    +1 on the shelled/blanched pea, but just a small piece about the size of his eye. I do agree that it doesn't look like swim bladder but more likely constipation due to the look of that area being swollen. Even my baby betta make some "moves" that surprise me size wise.. :D If you wanted to go a step above you can see who might have daphnia available nearby, either frozen or live, and they are also a natural laxative and quite tasty for them. I try to feed something to help keep my bettas regular at least once a week. Try one of those and fast for a day or two, then try again if no change but you don't want to keep feeding him food if he isn't passing it. It'll just get worse.

5. Salem

SalemValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +160
    Experience:
    1 year
    this is definitrly not constipation, it is way too far down his body and passed his anus. if it were constipation it would be up at the front where his stomach is.

i also dont think its swim bladder though as ive never seen it present like this. although going ahead with fasting him for a day or 2 then giving him the pea wouldnt hurt.

bettas are super inbred though so theyre very prone to tumors. to me this looks exactly like that- unfortunately there isnt a cure for those and best you can do is keep an eye on it.

6. Guppygirl88

Guppygirl88Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Constipation can occur anywhere in the digestive tract and is more likely to occur farther away from the stomach because more water is drawn out of the waste material the farther it travels towards the cloaca.(non-mammalian animals have a single orifice) now everyone please stop saying the a. word :)

7. Salem

SalemValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +160
    Experience:
    1 year
    if you look at a diagram of a bettas organs you will see that the only organ in that area of the body is the very end of the swim bladder. if the swim bladder itself were swollen it would look very different, it would not be a tiny bump that id so close to the tail. when a betta is constipated it is always visible on the front half of the fish where its stomach and intestines are. even if this bump were close to the right area it still would not look like constipation. its too small and focused, if it were caused by waste the swelling would be more spread out- this looks more like a pimple in terms of shape.

8. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +718
    Yeah given the location and the appearance, it does seem to be a tumor in the old guy. In which case, its nothing you could have prevented.

9. OP
    OP
    HMiln87

HMiln87New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Ok thanks everyone for your input. I fasted him over the weekend and will try giving him a small piece of a pea to see if that helps.

I feel so bad for him, he seems so sad.