Help - My Betta Is Acting Weird

CJ0107

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to do here. My betta (Captain America) is hanging out at the top of his tank and lays on the heater. I made the mistake of taking his filter out after I moved him and he went a week without a filter (I also couldnt find a filter cartridge for the filter at the time). So I bought a new filter for a 5gal tank and I think it was too powerful for him. So I went back to the smaller filter.

Long story short: it almost seems like he can't stay at the bottom of the tank unless he is wedged under something. Hes also tending to lean to one side when hes on top of the heater. I got him in November of 2016, so hes getting up there.
Does anyone know what could be wrong with him or if there's anything I can do?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello, it is very possible that it might be swim bladder along with old age, this is quite common when bettas get older as their entire body slows down, including the digestive tract which plays a role with swim bladder control.

Do you have any pictures of the betta? What are the parameters?

OP
C

CJ0107

Reaction score
Fanatic said:
Hello, it is very possible that it might be swim bladder along with old age, this is quite common when bettas get older as their entire body slows down, including the digestive tract which plays a role with swim bladder control.

Do you have any pictures of the betta? What are the parameters?

Here are some photos of what he’s doing.
The PH is in normal range and I do a 40% water change every week.

Attachments

biancaoo23

Reaction score
The flow of the filter might just be too sting for him try blocking the output of the filter with a sponge or something. My Betta didn’t swim around much & kinda just laid around because the flow was too strong (even on the lowest setting) but now I put I pre filter sponge on the outflow & he’s super happy.

New Threads