Help! My Betta Has Fin Rot!

My Betta Moonstone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My female betta has fin rot! I really don’t know what to do. My previous betta died of fin rot and I don’t want it to happen again! Moonstone is around 2 months old.

She spends the whole day chasing her reflection, and I don’t know how to stop that. There is algae on her silicone anemones, and I plan to clean it soon. She is by herself in a 10 gallon tank.

My Betta Moonstone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’m sorry. I’m very knew to fish keeping and I don’t know much.

The last time I tested the water was two weeks ago, and it was just a pH test. The pH seems fine, it’s at 7.

I’ve heard of cycling before, but I’m not sure I fully understand it. I didn’t cycle the tank unless I did it by accident.

I don’t think I am able to do a daily water change, as I am busy with school, homework, and after school activities. I also own guinea pigs, which require a lot of time. There is a filter in the tank, though.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Live plants don't cause algae, too much light usually does it. Plants usually actually help stop algae as they easily outcompete it. Sometimes they can introduce alagae, but it's usually not enough to worry about. You can always get silk plants or something similar, just make sure everything in the tank is unable to hurt your bettas fins further, as fin rot can set in from injuries. A common test is to just rub fine stockings over them, if it tears the stocking, it'll tear the bettas fin. Even the substrate can do it. You can help stop the algae by limiting the light, or with your nice big 10g tank you can get some algae feeders. Mine has an apple snail and some cherry shrimp. If sunlight is the cause of too much light, you can cover the tank with a thin, breathable cloth to limit the light.
It's okay if you can't change the water every day, just a %30 change every second day with a filter cleaning once a week will help (as long as you remember to clean the filter in old tank water, not tap water!) or, if you find the time, you could quarantine the betta in something smaller to make water changes easier and faster, and so medication is easier to use if it gets bad. Make sure your betta has some kind of stepping stones or something to the surface of the tank to rest on, as the fin rot may prevent them from getting to the surface to breathe or eat if it gets severe.

My Betta Moonstone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you both for your help!

@InsanityShard, I don’t think anything cut her fins in the tank. There isn’t anything sharp. I really want to get her an algae eater as a companion. I tried snails once, but I had no luck. Is there an algae eater I could get for this tank besides a snail? Preferably one that’s easy to care for. I’m a beginner. I was thinking about a Cory catfish, but I don’t know much about them yet.

I’ve put things inside the tank to entertain Moonstone and distract her from chasing her reflection. If you guys have any ideas on how to entertain bettas, please let me know.

We ordered her fin rot medicine and it will arrive tomorrow.

Wystearya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Medicine has it's place, but I will agree with the frequent water changes. It really can work wonders!

In all honesty, it shouldn't take that long to do a water change on a Betta tank. However I don't know how far away a sink is or how far you have to carry the buckets. IF this is an issue, I suggest buying a water changer, like a python. (You can google this, it's basically a hose that can connect to your sink faucet.)

I hope you at least do weekly water changes. I know you have a filter, but to keep a tank and it's fish healthy, weekly water changes are highly recommended. Nitrates build up in any tank. With time it's bad news for your fish. Fresh water also replaces minerals. It just does a lot for keeping the fish healthy!

I know your busy. But that is just life. If you want to have a pet, you have to make time to care for it properly. It sounds like you do this for the guinea pigs. I just hope you will do the same for your Betta.

I'm sorry if any of this sounds harsh. It's not meant to. But I wanted you to know how it is and how important the water changes really are. It's like cleaning a pet's cage. You don't want your guinea pigs to live in their own waste, and the same should go for your Betta. You can't see ammonia or nitrates like you can poop, but they are there and they are just as harmful.

I hope this makes sense.

------------------

One way to get a Betta to stop chasing his reflection is to dim the tank lights. Less light should make less reflection.

Or you could try placing plants or decorations along the sides of the tank.

One form of Betta entertainment are those betta mirrors. You only want to leave them in for a short time so they don't overdo flaring, but this is one idea.

Good luck!

My Betta Moonstone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Medicine has it's place, but I will agree with the frequent water changes. It really can work wonders!

In all honesty, it shouldn't take that long to do a water change on a Betta tank. However I don't know how far away a sink is or how far you have to carry the buckets. IF this is an issue, I suggest buying a water changer, like a python. (You can google this, it's basically a hose that can connect to your sink faucet.)

I hope you at least do weekly water changes. I know you have a filter, but to keep a tank and it's fish healthy, weekly water changes are highly recommended. Nitrates build up in any tank. With time it's bad news for your fish. Fresh water also replaces minerals. It just does a lot for keeping the fish healthy!

I know your busy. But that is just life. If you want to have a pet, you have to make time to care for it properly. It sounds like you do this for the guinea pigs. I just hope you will do the same for your Betta.

I'm sorry if any of this sounds harsh. It's not meant to. But I wanted you to know how it is and how important the water changes really are. It's like cleaning a pet's cage. You don't want your guinea pigs to live in their own waste, and the same should go for your Betta. You can't see ammonia or nitrates like you can poop, but they are there and they are just as harmful.

I hope this makes sense.

------------------

One way to get a Betta to stop chasing his reflection is to dim the tank lights. Less light should make less reflection.

Or you could try placing plants or decorations along the sides of the tank.

One form of Betta entertainment are those betta mirrors. You only want to leave them in for a short time so they don't overdo flaring, but this is one idea.

Good luck!
Thank you for the advice. I don’t think I’ll use a betta mirror, as I’m trying to get her to stop chasing her reflection, not do it more.

I’ve heard that a plant called “devil’s ivy” can help remove nitrates, and I was thinking about trying that out.

Wystearya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plants can help, but they can only do so much and won't change the need for regular water changes.

Plants will thrive with fresh water also.

You can google all this if you doubt me. And I am sure some people will disagree!

I do know that 'pothos' can be grown with the roots in the aquarium and the rest of the plant out of the tank. It's like an ivy. I'm trying to grow some myself. I think the 'golden pothos' is supposed to be the best one to get. It's a common household plant. You can usually get one anywhere plants are sold. Just take a healthy cutting and place the end in the tank. Roots will grow from it on their own. (You can google this too!)

My Betta Moonstone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Plants can help, but they can only do so much and won't change the need for regular water changes.

Plants will thrive with fresh water also.

You can google all this if you doubt me. And I am sure some people will disagree!

I do know that 'pothos' can be grown with the roots in the aquarium and the rest of the plant out of the tank. It's like an ivy. I'm trying to grow some myself. I think the 'golden pothos' is supposed to be the best one to get. It's a common household plant. You can usually get one anywhere plants are sold. Just take a healthy cutting and place the end in the tank. Roots will grow from it on their own. (You can google this too!)
I believe you. I am doing water changes, just not daily.

I’ve done some research on the plant, and yes I think I’ll get the golden pothos.

Wystearya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I understand not doing daily changes. Weekly *should* be ok.

I hope the plant helps you too!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom