Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Help!!!! My Betta Has A Weird Bump...

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Mollyhouserr, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Mollyhouserr New Member Member

my betta is a year old, but recently he has developed a weird tumor on his body. I don’t know what to do.

His tank meets all needed parameters, and it’s a 5 gallon tank.

He’s never been sick before and I don’t know where this has come from.

I don’t think he hit himself on anything in the tank.

Attached Files:

2. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

Looks like an infection to me. His fins also look clamped and tattered which is an indication that your water isn’t that great. I would try aquarium salt baths, pimafix and melafix and see if that will work. I would also check for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates with a liquid test kit. Test strips are always unreliable.

3. Brizburk Well Known Member Member

Also appears to have popeye and quite thin. What is the temp of the tank? What is the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?

4. Mollyhouserr New Member Member

The tanks been running so long, and everything is at 0. His eyes been like that since I got him, and it never seemed to impact his movements. So I thought it was some sort of birth defect.

5. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

If everything is at 0 then that’s a problem. If it’s been cycled and established, you’d see nitrates. Sorry to say but your water parameters may be really bad. If you’re using test strips, then your readings will be off because those are completely inaccurate. That’s the only reason I can think of for such a bad infection and theathered fins. It’s not a tumor because those don’t pop at the outer part. Tumors form from under the skin. Try the salt baths melafix and pimafix... you can google on how to use those and see if that will work.

6. Mollyhouserr New Member Member

Ahhh!!! Okay!!!
    I’m sorry I thought it was correct.

My poor baby:( I’m gonna fix it today!!!

7. Brizburk Well Known Member Member

Bettas like warmer water 78-80. I'd suggest a 25-30% water change daily along with dosing medications.

8. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

Let us know how it goes. Be careful with the aquarium salt though. I wouldn’t put too much. When I had a betta I would put less than half the recommended dose in his tank during a water change to keep infections away. It worked for years before he unfortunately got an actual tumor (he had a lump for a little over a year... didn’t bother him but he got old and passed). Some types of Bettas are more prone to begnin tumors. This is why I know that your Bettas lump isn’t an actual tumor. Unless... it started from underneath the skin and popped which can happen. If that’s the case, it’s benign but caused an infection. Either way you should definitely use the meds. And as @Brizburk said, keep the temp to 80 degrees... at least while you’re dosing meds. Bacterial infections don’t like high temps from what I have read in the past. Good luck!

9. Bettafishies126 Valued Member Member

I have a dumbo betta too who happens to have almost the exact same colouring lol and I would just like to say that mine has eyes that are the exact same and they have always been that way since I got him as a tiny baby, so I think it’s part of their breed to be honest because mine has never been sick. Are you sure your readings are actually 0 all around? Seems odd for a tank that has been set up a long time unless you changed all of the water and the filter cartridge at once. Also don’t use melafix! Only as a last resort. Melafix is bad for a bettas labyrinth organ and can actually kill them if not used very carefully. They make a form of melafix called bettafix that you can try but I would also not use that unless other treatments don’t work because it can have the same effect.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  10. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

Melafix actually treats bacterial infections. Bettafix is just a diluted dose for Bettas because of their sensitivity. They both consist of tea tree oil. If used as directed, it shouldn’t kill any fish. I have used it on most of my previous Bettas who needed it with excellent results. Actually I’ve used melafix and pimafix combined when one of my friends Bettas had a nasty infection from horrible water parameters. His betta lived for 4 years after that. If you do it correctly, you shouldn’t have any issues. I’ve only used the api brand for both meds though. Other brands might be different.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  11. Heathen Valued Member Member

BettaFix is a diluted, literally watered down solution, of MelaFix. There are some heated debates about this in the betta community, but it boils down to a few things.
    -There is not a solid study done on this to prove that it actually harms the labyrinth organ of the betta and other Anabantoidei.
    -This is best used in clean, pristine water conditions and is easy to overdose.
    --If the water conditions are so well, a lot of issues are evaded in the first place.
    -It is NOT A MEDICINE!! Do not treat this as a medicine!
    -It IS an antiseptic, to help keep wounds clean :)
    -It can help with damaged fins and to promote fin growth...
    --So basically, after you treat your fish you can use BettaFix as it's prescribed dosage, to help the fins grow.

It can be used to keep the wound clean but I would not depend on using these solutions as medications. If there are closer pictures I could better tell, it is true that while this does look tumor-like, the lesion and bleeding typically lends me to believe something else is going on, too. Any updates?