Help HELP! My betta got sick maybe?

JaqSeb

Reaction score
My betta looks ill a week ago. He is a normal betta that I bought with around 2 USD. He appeared to have white spot on the body like sprinkle of salt, but it is not as big as the white spot disease. It has velvet disease texture but the golden rust is white in color. Clamping and torn fins observed. Currently he is still eating well and swimming normally, sometimes he will just sit at the bottom of the tank and rest.

Once I found he is ill, I transfered him to a hospital tank which is just a 1L acrylic tank without filter and heater (my location is hot with constant ambient temperature of 26-29 degree celcius). I mixed the aged water with some aquarium salt and a medicine which makes the water turns blue, I believe it is something like copper sulphate or methylene blue. Daily water change about 60% and I put indian almond leaf in it. This situation lasts about 4-5 days already, although my fish doesn't rub against the tank anymore, but his fins are not recovering and still clamping. His body started to secrete some whitish slime and can be seen from his fins, they tend to fall off when my betta is swimming.

Pictures are attached, the first pic is ill, the second one was when he is healthy can any pros give some advices for my betta?

Attachments

OP
J

JaqSeb

Reaction score
The parameters are perfectly fine within the range, only the pH was slightly below 6 because of my bad water source, bought a pH up solution to slightly increase it. Temperature wise it was 28c both for water and ambient temperature.

The betta was bought in a local store few months back. Not so sure on his age but I guess he is less than 1 year.

I fed him varieties of pellets or flakes, twice daily, the amount was ok, never overfeed or underfeed him. Currently considering buying dried BBS or bloodworm but not the live one to prevent further parasite infestation.

I put him in an IKEA vase which is around 3.5L with some floating plants, quite a small tank without filter, so I would do water change every 2 to 3 days depending on the water condition. Water was treated and aged, with ketapang or cattapa leaves included. For each water change I take out 70% to 80% of the water because it is unfiltered and can get the toxins accumulate easily so I tend to do big water change on him.

Water conditioner like chlorine remover I used a local brand called "Tension-gon" that stated to remove chlorine and chloramine, also neutralizes heavy metals and helps with body slime.

Pls let me know if I did something wrong to take care the betta, much appreciated.

Edit: I just did a salt bath for my betta that I learnt from Youtube, not sure if it is working for him but I gave it a try. Results are not so obvious and hard to define.

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well there could be many things going on. I’d start by adding a small sponge filter. The size vase he’s in is rather small and without the filtration the beneficial bacteria has no where to live. There are very small sponge filters as well as small usb type air pumps that will work for you. Fairly inexpensive.

May I ask how you’re testing water? If you have any ammonia or nitrite at all you’ll need to do a water change. Sounds like you’ve got your process down pretty well. Water temps should match if you’re letting the water age. Have you been pH testing before water changes to make sure you’re matching as close as possible?

Something to try, give him a mirror and see if he perks up. He’s well fed so that’s not the issue, water is warm enough as well.

I usually keep bettas in 10 gallons and up. They’re usually quite active and can become bored and listless in tiny tanks or vases and bowls.

Oh also, bettas do like a slightly softer water, I’d try slowly allowing the pH to naturally be low. The almond leaves will create a natural tannin that lowers pH. I’d however add filtration first. Show him a mirror to see if his behavior changes.

Others may have different advice, you’ll have to pick and choose what works best for you and your fish

OP
J

JaqSeb

Reaction score
Agree with what u said. I'm considering to add a HOF if it can fit, currently have 2 nano tanks for bettas already, I may have not enough space for another one to place this betta and settling him in a vase may be a bad idea.

For water testing I was using test strips and pH test solution. I chose to raise my stocked water pH a little bit is because my original water source is already low in pH, if I put in indian almond leaves they will go even lower, so I adjusted the water to my comfort zone.

Talking about his behavior, he is much different like other bettas that I had. Since long time ago he won't be flaring towards his own reflection, but when he met other bettas he did flare well. For now, he doesn't even flare to other bettas and he doesn't hide (I thought injured betta will avoid fight). He will just look at another betta and slowly turn away.

From the first day I found he was ill, his condition now is much better compared to before. Firstly he is not rubbing to glass anymore, the whitish thingy started to disappear, and he is more active right now. Perhaps he is healing already? Other than the slight fin torn and doesn't flare to others, I can't observe any other problems there. Ya, also he doesn't make bubble nest since then.

So, any hypothesis there? Should I continue the medication until he will flare?

This is his current state.

Attachments

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yea, so it sounds like you're on the right track, if he's showing improvement I'd keep doing what you're doing. The tail will heal with time and lots of water changes so just stay on top of water quality. It's totally possible that he's just an unhealthy fish. Bettas are over bred and he could just be unhealthy.

I'm sorry I don't have better advice.

OP
J

JaqSeb

Reaction score
Your advices are great enough for me, thank you! Happy to see him doing fine. Right now another koI betta of mine just passed away, yesterday he was behaving very healthy, until this morning he looks bloating a bit and keep swimming to water surface for air, I kept my tank oxygenated so I'm sure that this is not the issue. He was twitching his body like getting an electric shock, going up to the surface and dropped back down again. He dies few hours later. Couldn't have enough time to diagnose and save him

The link brings u to the koI betta threat.
Betta breathing heavily and staying at tank bottom - Betta Fish 430417

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom