1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Help! My Betta Fish Is Really Sick!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Shadow the Hedgehog, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Shadow the HedgehogNew MemberMember

Hello everyone, I am new to fish forums, but I know very much about Berta fish. But, back to the point, my Berta fish has a really bad case of fin rot( he always has been that way, I’ve tried many medications but they don’t work that well) but I went on a week vacation, and when I came back, the tip of his top fin was bleeding. Then after two days, one of his gills looks a bit shredded and somewhat infected. I really need help. I don’t want Silver the Berta to die now....:(

Also, Silver eats very well, but sometimes stops once in a while( looks like he died) but he starts moving again.

And Silver gets a 50% water change every month, but I am not sure about the temperature. I need to buy a water heater for him.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

3. Shadow the HedgehogNew MemberMember

The tank size is 2 gallons, the filter is a strong one, and the tank tempurature is about room tempurature or more. I don’t add in any nitrates, but there is a Marimo moss ball in his tank. That is all the information I can provide on the ammonia/ nitrate levels.

4. DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

I think you've pretty much described all your problems.

5. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Imagine having to bathe in the same bath water for a whole month while using it as your bathroom too. That is the condition this little guy is living in. :(

You should be changing his water at least every other DAY not once a month or so. Quit throwing medication at him and start keeping him in fresh water and it is possible he will eventually heal.

6. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

With a 2 gallon tank and monthly water changes i would imagine that your nitrates are pretty high. Which would be a good reason he got fin rot and the meds are ineffective. Also room temp is not good for long term health their tank should be around 80. Saying you dont add nitrates gives me the feeling you also dont know of the nitrogen cycle of a tank which also could be a factor.

7. 123Valued MemberMember

Change his water daily, but make sure you don't add straight tap water. Have some water to sit in a plastic bottle or a bowl for 24h before adding it to the tank.

8. Shadow the HedgehogNew MemberMember

Okay, I will try that.

9. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

Please read about the nitrogen cycle or that fish will eventually die.

10. AJ34Valued MemberMember

I have a filtered 2 gallon and I'm changing the water every day if there is an issue and if not, every two days...I have a 3 gallon cycled and that I do about every 3 days. With the small tanks you have to be willing and prepared to change the water as often as needed, they are just too unstable in terms of water quality. Good luck!