Help-- My angels laid eggs!

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by genie, Mar 26, 2010.

1. genie

genie Well Known Member Member

So I guess that answers the "do I have a pair" question. But now I have no idea what to do! Its a 55 gallon community tank. I already had to move the Killi to a net breeder because he wouldn't stay away from the angels. Ahhh I have never done this. What do you all do with the fry? How do I feed them? How long does it take to hatch? Can I leave the whole happy family in the tank and go with survival of the fittest? So many questions!!!!!:;smack

2. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

You can go with survival of the fittest or you could remove the eggs and try hatching them in another tank or container. Airstone to move the water.

3. OP
    OP
    genie

I cant remove them.... they laid them on the filter intake hose!

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Unless you can remove all of the other fish, it sound like you will have to go with the survival of the fittest method. Perhaps it would be worth trying to add a flat piece of slate for the Angels to spawn on in future so that you can remove the slate complete with eggs. You just have to hope that they decide to use it.

5. OP
    OP
    genie

I think the 8 red eye tetras have figured out to stay on the other side of the tank. I also think that I am going to take the Killi back to the LFS since he is too stupid to stay away... and it isn't fair to keep him in the net breeder. I can't do the live brine shrimp, so I guess I'll try Hikari First Bites.

There are like 300 eggs, ok maybe only 200... but a freaking lot! I am guessing that they won't all survive though.

Should I get some of that floating "breeding grass" that helps the babies hide toward the top of the tank??

Dangit! I have to do a water change tomorrow too... wow they will be mad.

6. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Killis are full blown predators that will make every effort they can to eat anything that moves & that they can fit into thier mouths. At least they are easy to catch if you do want to return them. :) You won't have to worry about the Red-Eyes during the day, they will make thier raids when the lights are off & the Angels can't see as well to defend thier eggs. They will attack in numbers & make it immpossible for the Angels to defend.

From memory the Angel fry will go to the substrate rather than the surface so a big clump of Java Moss would probably be better for the fry to hide in. When you do your water change, don't worry about vaccuuming the substrate, just siphon water from the oposite end of teh tank to the eggs. Also make sure you don't suck out so much water that the eggs get exposed to the air. Being an established tank there are probably enough microorganisms for the fry to feed off until they are large enough to eat fry flakes. There are liquid fry foods if you decide to catch the fry & put them into a growing on tank straight away.

7. OP
    OP
    genie

I have been watching them and I am not sure the male knows what he is supposed to be doing.... I guess we'll see if anything hatches.

8. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

When the eggs hatch all you will see are little balls stuck to something with little tails wiggling(that's why their called wigglers :) ) Mom and dad may move them several times. then in about three days they will be free swimming if nothing in the tank has managed to eat them. Mom and dad will herd them around the tank in a group. If one manages to escape the group mom or dad will chase them down catch them in their mouth and spit them back in the group. At this stage if the other fish make mom and dad nervous they may eat them. The longest I've had them last in a community tank is three days. they do not need feeding until they are free swimming. First bites will work. Also Golden pearls (Rotifers) and decapsulated brine shrimp from kensfish.com are great fry foods.
    Good luck!
    Carol

9. OP
    OP
    genie

maybe I'll get a tank divider for now and herd the red-eyes to one side. Truthfully since I didn't plan this I don't really want a bunch of them to survive... I know that sounds bad... but I just don't have the room for them or another tank. I think it is cool and all, but I am inexperienced and unprepared. SIGH!

10. Butterfly

Completely understandable but still a unique experience. If they have spawned once they will again and maybe you will be more prepared then.
    It is also possible for females to lay without a male in the tank. what color are the eggs ?
    Carol

11. OP
    OP
    genie

clearish ... ???

12. Butterfly

If their not fertilized they will turn white in 24hrs or sooner.
    carol

13. OP
    OP
    genie

ill look 4 that. I am pretty sure it isn't 2 girls though... their "business" just looks too different, and the one that I think it male has a bump on his head? Anyway... we will know soon I guess if he did his part.:)

14. Butterfly

If their breeding tubes look different then you probably do have a pair. Just wanted you to be aware :)
    Carol

15. OP
    OP
    genie

Thanks for all of the help and answers... I'll post tomorrow and let y'all know if they are viable or not.

:;hug2

16. curly.haze

curly.haze Valued Member Member

Hi I'm in the same situation as you, think my eggs arrived on my filter this afternoon,
    I'm also a beginner and I'm going to go with the survival technique. I'm also prepared to expect no fry but we'll see.

I'll keep you posted, let me know how you get on x

17. N

Neji Valued Member Member

Hmm, you should remove the fishes that are bugging the angels such as your killi fish. I don't know if the red eye tetras are going to be much of a bother but if they are becoming a problem atm, then you should remove them to a different tank and let the eggs hatch. You can try and move the eggs from the filter intake hose? turn off the filter and I don't know if you have another filter intake hose like the AC filters come with two intake hoses and hopefully you can do that, and leave the filter intake hose (with the eggs) on the gravel or sand floor so they could hatch and the parents would still be able to take care of the fry.

18. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138 Valued Member Member

I love reading posts like this. You have unknowingly provided the perfect environment for your fish so they did what comes natural. They set up house. If angelfish are provided the right conditions they will spawn every 2 to 3 weeks unless they are busy raising fry. Most first time spawners will eat their eggs or fry if stressed by other fish too much. They utilize the protein for the next spawn instead of allowing the other fish to benefit. Seems cruel but it works for them. Anyway, don't be surprised if the eggs or fry disappear. If they don't be ready to feed a lot of hungry little mouths.

Congrats on the spawn.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice