HELP! My angel is becoming aggressive

wtusa1783

Reaction score
I have 2 angels in my 29 and my bigger angel who is about 5 inches is chasing my small angel who is about 2 inches. What should I do?

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wtusa1783 said:
I have 2 angels in my 29 and my bigger angel who is about 5 inches is chasing my small angel who is about 2 inches. What should I do?
With that size difference you will probably have a tough time since the little one can’t really hold its own.

I would suggest either separating them or trying to rearrange the tank or add additional cover to create more separation

Were they just added together? Or how long has it been? The larger one may be crossing the point that’s it’s becoming more mature and aggressive.

typically you see tanks that size recommended for a mates pair, I’m not sure how well to two angels will get along in a tank that size if they do not pair up

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Cody said:
With that size difference you will probably have a tough time since the little one can’t really hold its own.

I would suggest either separating them or trying to rearrange the tank or add additional cover to create more separation

Were they just added together? Or how long has it been? The larger one may be crossing the point that’s it’s becoming more mature and aggressive.

typically you see tanks that size recommended for a mates pair, I’m not sure how well to two angels will get along in a tank that size if they do not pair up
So should I bring the bigger one to the store? I love my small one and the bigger one I’m not attached to anyway except for that he is my first angel. They have been together for about a month now but I’ve just been noticing the aggression in the last day or so.

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m guessing the larger one must be hitting that point that it’s aggression is starting to come out.

Typically larger angels are worth more so if your store offers trade and your willing to part, that is probably the safest option besides a second tank.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Cody said:
I’m guessing the larger one must be hurting that point that it’s aggression is starting to come out.

Typically larger angels are worth more so if your store offers trade and your willing to part, that is probably the safest option besides a second tank.
Yea I might do that. I’ve always wanted a blue angel. Would you recommend one if I can find a small one?

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wtusa1783 said:
Yea I might do that. I’ve always wanted a blue angel. Would you recommend one if I can find a small one?
I’ve always read and been told if you want multiples it’s best to do it when they are young and similar sized. So now is the time to go for it if you want. Just try to find one close to the 2in for the highest chance of success!

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Cody said:
I’ve always read and been told if you want multiples it’s best to do it when they are young and similar sized. So now is the time to go for it if you want. Just try to find one close to the 2in for the highest chance of success!
Yea definitely. How much do you think an angel that’s about 5 or 6 inches from fin to fin would be?

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wtusa1783 said:
Yea definitely. How much do you think an angel that’s about 5 or 6 inches from fin to fin would be?
That I don’t have any input. I’m sure it will depend on the species and How good of shape it’s in. And of course the individual store.

I just got my first four angels a few weeks ago and they are all juveniles yet. So I don’t have a lot of experience with that yet!

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
29 is a bit small for two angels. As for the fighting in a day or two it might cease once the little one learns the big one is the boss. If you like the large one you could wait a day or two if not take it into the store. I normally put mine in a 5 gallon pail with 3ish gallons of water from the tank.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
jake37 said:
29 is a bit small for two angels. As for the fighting in a day or two it might cease once the little one learns the big one is the boss. If you like the large one you could wait a day or two if not take it into the store. I normally put mine in a 5 gallon pail with 3ish gallons of water from the tank.
So should I take the big one out?

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
2 angels should only be kept in a 29 if it’s a mated pair.
returm the big one and only keep the 1.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
CoryFan said:
2 angels should only be kept in a 29 if it’s a mated pair.
returm the big one and only keep the 1.
Ok I think I’ll do that. Any idea how much I could get for him?

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wtusa1783 said:
Ok I think I’ll do that. Any idea how much I could get for him?
Depends on your fish stores policy. Mine only gives 1/3 of the price they sell the fish for, in store credit.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
CoryFan said:
Depends on your fish stores policy. Mine only gives 1/3 of the price they sell the fish for, in store credit.
Ok thanks. So maybe like $5

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wtusa1783 said:
Ok thanks. So maybe like $5
Depending on the type of angel, the size, your fish stores policy, and how much they sell that specific size and type of Angel for, it could be $2-$20

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
CoryFan said:
Depending on the type of angel, the size, your fish stores policy, and how much they sell that specific size and type of Angel for, it could be $2-$20
Ok

New Threads