Help! Moving guppies to isolated tank

1. Zap Initiate Member

Hi everyone!

I have 6 fish in a ten gallon tank: two black skirt tetras, two serpae tetras, and two male guppies.

Everyone got along for months until my black skirts doubled in size and now they are really picking on my guppies. Each has nips taken out of their tails and look stressed.

I want to move my guppies to their own tank (then I can get more tetras maybe, lol). I bought a little $20 tank at the store (comes with an air pump and a light, but nothing fancy).

Got home and set it up, using rocks and some water from the cycled tank. It's only one gallon, though, and seems kind of small for two guppies. Looked bigger on the box. I put a plastic plant in there and it looked cramped!

What should I do? Is 1 gallon enough for two little guppies? I can take out the plant, but do guppies need plants?

Also, the pump is quite loud, louder than the hang-over-the-rim filter in the 10 gallon tank. I don't even know if guppies need a pump, though I think it would probably help with oxygen.

Any wisdom for me?

PS: I know two male guppies is not ideal. If I can find someone with guppies, I might attempt a trade, but not sure what to get or what to do in the meantime.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Zap. Sorry to hear your fish are having aggression issues. The 1g tank would be ok for temporary housing for your two guppies. Yes, they do need filtration and I'd recommend them going into at least 5 if not 10g's.
    Best of luck!
    Ken

3. Zap Initiate Member

How long is temporary? It looks bigger without the plant (i took it out) but I won't be able to splurge for another 10 gallon (even if I had somewhere to put it) for awhile.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

lol well Zap as to how long they would survive would be difficult to determine. Keep up with your water chemistry and frequent water changes and they may be ok for a while. Chances are you could use the filters, heaters spare equipment you have now on a new 10g for around $14. This would probably be close to the same price you would pay for new tetras as you stated in post #1 . Too, you can always try to take them to a fish store for store credit. If you have your recepits good. It wouldn't hurt to try.
    Best of luck
    Ken