Help! Mollies Dying!

fishyluver2616

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am relatively new to fish keeping-about 3 years. I have just recently upgraded to a 36 gallon Aqueon ensemble with a 50 power quiet flow filter and I have Fish dying! I currently have 2 mollies, 4 Balloon Mollies, 4 Dwarf Gourami's, 1 Cory(Owned for 3 years had 5 but over the years only one to survive but rejects all attempts at adding new corys), and 5 neon tetras. I got up this morning, fed every one and everything was good, Took a shower came back and a black balloon molly was lying on its side on the bottom next to a resting black molly that I discovered had Pop eye! I don't have a quarantine tank but have an 8 gallon that used to be my tank that isn't set up. I Took the balloon molly out and placed him in a jar with some water from the tank because they were all picking on him. He swan up to surface when I attempted to catch him but floated back down to the bottom after. Is currently on his side gasping for air in the jar just like he was in the tank! What do I do about the molly with pop eye? HELP!
-Alicia

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fish Lore! We're going to need you to answer some questions first, alright?

First off, according to your profile you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, a vital thing for every fish owner to know about.

Secondly, you'll need to test your water parameters. I recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

When you say "recently" you upgraded, how recently are we talking?

Did you space out adding your fish in? Like, just a few or so every week?

Are these only two fish that have shown any problems?

Is there any signs of aggression present in your tank?

What's your male to female molly ratio in the tank?

These are just a few questions that would be extremely useful in helping you.

For the popeye, I would make sure the water is in pristine condition. Others might be able to help you more on this. As for the molly on his side, this might have something to do with the water parameters. Do you have a tank divider so you can keep him in the heated, filtered tank?

OP
F

fishyluver2616

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BornThisWayBettas said:
Welcome to Fish Lore! We're going to need you to answer some questions first, alright?

First off, according to your profile you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, a vital thing for every fish owner to know about.

Secondly, you'll need to test your water parameters. I recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

When you say "recently" you upgraded, how recently are we talking?

Did you space out adding your fish in? Like, just a few or so every week?

Are these only two fish that have shown any problems?

Is there any signs of aggression present in your tank?

What's your male to female molly ratio in the tank?

These are just a few questions that would be extremely useful in helping you.

For the popeye, I would make sure the water is in pristine condition. Others might be able to help you more on this. As for the molly on his side, this might have something to do with the water parameters. Do you have a tank divider so you can keep him in the heated, filtered tank?
By recently I mean I upgraded to this tank about 3 weeks ago
I Spaced out adding new fish by a week first my existing fish then some new ones about a week later
Came home and black balloon molly died bought treatment for popeye and had water tested again the ammonia was way high so I just treated that all other fish seem fine
There is absolutely no aggression in the tank that I have seen they all swim peacefully with and around each other
The molly ration is 1:1 in the reg mollies and 1:2 (was 1:3 but black balloon just died)
and yes I am keeping him in the larger of my two large breading nets that are inserted into the tank(Bought when I mistook a fairly fat fish for being pregnant!)

OP
F

fishyluver2616

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I also bought a pack of test strips that tested multiple things like ammonia, nitrite, pH, ect. But when I opened it after I got home the box was empty so I guess someone stole all the strips!

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry for your loss.

Perhaps you added the fish in too fast, considering that mollies are high waste producers.

Balloon mollies too, are more susceptible to disease because of their "deformities" that they're bred for, so I read.

What treatment did you buy? I don't know about this, but your cory might do well with it. I'm not sure when I heard this though, so please verify this with someone else, too.

When you say you "had water tested" do you mean you did it yourself? Or did a pet store do it? What test kit did they use? Test strips are highly inaccurate, so make sure they didn't test with test strips if you can. It's best to have your own test kit, they really aren't that expensive.

What were your other readings like nitrites and nitrates? And do you have the exact numbers from the ammonia test?

New Threads