Help!!! Mollies And Guppies Dying:(

Susmitha

Reaction score
14 gallon Tank with 4 mollies, 2 sword tail and 4 guppies. The tank is 8 months old and the water is perfect. 2 weeks back all of a sudden I lost 2 guppies and next week 1 panda molly and now today one more panda molly. The molly was completely fine and active and also had food this morning. The water parameters are in control. No signs of any disease or weakness in the fish. All my other fishes are perfectly fine and active. I have uploaded a photo of my panda molly which died today. Please help

Attachments

Triston Wasmund

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
is there any bite marks or anything like nipped fins?? what are your water parameters of right now? do you wash your hands before and after putting your arms and hands in the tank?

Triston Wasmund said:
is there any bite marks or anything like nipped fins?? what are your water parameters of right now? do you wash your hands before and after putting your arms and hands in the tank?
if I were you you could probably move this to the freshwater beginner forum and maybe more people can help you out

OP
S

Susmitha

Reaction score
Triston Wasmund said:
No bite marks and my water parameters are ammonia-0.20, nitrites-0, nitrates-5, pH 6.5. And yes, I do thouroughly wash my hands before touching the water. Everything was fine from day 1. This is the 1st time that the fishes are dying.....

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Injuries happen to fish all the time. What kind of filter do you have? It might have gotten sucked by filter a little and damaged internal organs. . . just a guess since everything else was fine prior to death. All I can think of is some sort of fish bullying, or an injury from filter or heater.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mary765 said:
Ammonia at 0.2 is not a perfect parameter. Did you cycle your tank?
The tank is 8 months old if he has not cycled it, it has cycled on its own. Mollies, guppies, platys are all known for being hardy fish. IME they would not die at 0.2 ammonia.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
King o´ Angelfish said:
The tank is 8 months old if he has not cycled it, it has cycled on its own. Mollies, guppies, platys are all known for being hardy fish. IME they would not die at 0.2 ammonia.
Any ammonia in a tank is not safe. None. No matter the fish.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mary765 said:
Any ammonia in a tank is not safe. None. No matter the fish.
Yes, not safe. But obviosly the fish matters. Some fish are hardier than others, everyone knows that. You being a well know member should know that. It isn't the ammonia alone that makes water unsafe, infact if ammonia slowly rises fish are fine, if there is an abrupt increas called ammonia spike then that is what kills rapidly like our friend here is saying.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
King o´ Angelfish said:
Yes, not safe. But obviosly the fish matters. Some fish are hardier than others, everyone knows that. You being a well know member should know that. It isn't the ammonia alone that makes water unsafe, infact if ammonia slowly rises fish are fine, if there is an abrupt increas called ammonia spike then that is what kills rapidly like our friend here is saying.
I didn't say that 0.2 ppm ammonia was the cause of death, I was trying to say if the parameter is off, it indicates to other issues such as overstocking, a crashed cycle, no cycle, no water conditioner etc and THESE can be deadly for fish it's not all about the parameters you know!

Also, ammonia spiking is not the sole cause of fish issues related to ammonia. Otherwise fish could be acclimated to high ammonia conditions. No. Rather ammonia affects the nervous system, causing smasms, concussions and death. It is a toxin, to humans as well, and most toxins effect the nervous system in some way. Even with small doses of ammonia, it can cause vast amounts of stress in fish which can be deadly, and in consistent trace amounts it causes damage to organs such as the gills, liver and kidneys!

Please don't assume things, or use my rank against me. It's quite rude

Sel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah your water hardness is super low for these guys. They can SURVIVE in low ph/hardness, but not for long. They're lacking the essential minerals to be healthy. My guess is that they held out for a while, but now they're succumbing to the improper hardness.

OP
S

Susmitha

Reaction score
Might be the reason. I will check with the pH balance and try to increase it. Thank you for the suggestion

Sel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you can get your hands on a gH/kH kit that will REALLY help. Also if you need to increase hardness please don't use chemicals, use something like crushed coral.. and you REALLY should have a Gh/Kh kit if you start messing with perimeters.

New Threads