Help modding HOB filter to cover protein skimmer

kari69a

Hi!

Can anyone give advice on how to hold a coarse sponge (cut to fit) onto the body of a seachem tidal 55, covering the protein skimmer?

I need to block off the protein skimmer (livestock will get sucked in). I tried using cyanoacrylate glue gel but it caused a chemical reaction that stank to high heaven and released dizzying fumes, so I have to try a second time (new filter, not risking leaching liquefied plastic into the water (black gunk came off, it wasn't just an issue of the glue not drying)).

So I'm going to attach a coarse sponge to cover the skimmer, but have no idea how to secure a sponge in place. It would have to be set up so that I could remove and clean/replace as needed. Any tips pls?

Tysm!!

carsonsgjs

I use little elastic bands to hold sponge in place to cover up the slots on my tidal 35 - very quick fix to stop my pea puffers disappearing but it works!

I’ve seen people put sponge inside the filter right where the skimmer slots are too but doesn’t seem to be that easy to access to clean out.

kari69a

I use little elastic bands to hold sponge in place to cover up the slots on my tidal 35 - very quick fix to stop my pea puffers disappearing but it works!

I’ve seen people put sponge inside the filter right where the skimmer slots are too but doesn’t seem to be that easy to access to clean out.
that's so smart! thank you!

kari69a

wanted to let you know I got some fitting elastic bands and it holds the sponge in place perfectly! Also wrapped giant sections of sponge to the tank, just at the tank's edge so they don't hop up the filter and out onto the floor. Looking into getting an actual fitting glass lid but you let me start a better filtration system in no time! Thanks again! so simple but so effective, and even some water improvement overnight! using both filters till I feel comfortable enough just using the tidal. so stoked!!!!!!! happy fishies here we come!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mylar
Replies
Views
Edgor
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1

New Aquarium Equipment Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads