Help Missing Dwarf Frog!!!

1. Princethepurplebetta

Princethepurplebetta Valued Member Member

Hey guys! I bought 2 african dwarf frogs for my 5g. And i was cleaning the tank and noticed one is missing. I took out all the plants, decor and even gravel. Hes not there. What do i do?!

Tank:
    (normally the moss ball isnt floating)
    20170802_201604.jpg
    (forgot to put lid back in this photo):
    20170802_201620.jpg

2. Ankers

Ankers Well Known Member Member

I've had that happen with fish unfortunately he's probably deceased. Most animals will hide when they are sick or dying. Sorry

3. OP
    OP
    Princethepurplebetta

I feel so bad ): im not sure how he even got out

4. Ankers

Even though dwarf frogs are air breathers they will dry up after being out of the tank for a few minutes

5. liberosis4170

liberosis4170 Valued Member Member

look around the tank and on the floor. most likely it jumped out. This is a little morbid, but the other frog may have eaten it if it died. also check the filter. check inside the ornaments making sure it didn't squeeze inside if you have not already. sometimes these things happen and not much you can do :/ if you still have your recept and have purchased them quite recently i'm sure the store you purchased them from would give you another frog if you explained the situation.

6. OP
    OP
    Princethepurplebetta

Yeah thats what i thought. I wasnt sure how long ago he got out. But i looked everywhere and found no sign of him

I checked the filter, decor and even gravel and hes not there ): i looked in the tank next to his and no sign as well. I didnt see him under the bed or nightstand (his rank is on a night stand). And idea of how he could have gotten out with a lid on and watee 3ish inches below the lid?

7. Ankers

There could be hope one of my shrimp disappeared and I found him the next day healthy and happy he's still alive

8. OP
    OP
    Princethepurplebetta

Not sure if i will find him (hopefully i do though). I took everything out, and he is not there at all. ):

9. Ankers

Did the same with my shrimp

10. liberosis4170

liberosis4170 Valued Member Member

recently one of my amino shrimp dissapeared and found it dried up. apparently i scared the poor thing when i was moving substrate around and adding new plants it had jumped out. maybe that's what happened when you cleaned everything out. didn't find it till a few days later. dunno. i guess all you can do is wait and see.

11. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

Turn off the lights in the room, get a flashlight, hold the light as low as you can and scan the floor, moving the light as you go. Frogs are meant to blend in, so you may not see him in normal light. If he's on the floor he'll cast a shadow when the light moves over him and you'll see the shadow.

However, if the water level was three inches below the rim I doubt he's there. I just don't think they're strong enough to get up and over a vertical surface that high. I'm guessing filter, even though you say you've looked there- either wedged up behind it, or inside in some impossible place. Second guess would be wedged in that tree not moving and so perfectly camouflaged. Again, a little narrow beam flashlight might help because it will allow you to look at an inch of it at a time and not see 'the big picture' that makes camouflage work.

12. OP
    OP
    Princethepurplebetta

Ok thanks ill try that. The carpet is white and hes a super dark black and i didnt see him. But hopefully when i try this itll work and ill find him

13. DeltaDawn37

DeltaDawn37 Valued Member Member

I've lost frogs like that before, where I never found the bodies...good luck :(

14. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

How big is the other frog compared to him? I've heard of a scenario where a larger DF are a smaller one (for my mental sake ima hope this is not the case here)

15. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

Just had a thought, and not a pleasant a one, though it might explain how a frog could vanish- you don't have a cat or dog, do you? And I just looked at the picture and noticed the other tank which suggests a more pleasant outcome. He's not in there hiding, is he?

16. Briana Clifford

Briana Clifford New Member Member

Oh dear :( it's terrible that he's disappeared. Personally, I'm very squeamish with amphibians and would be very very paranoid until I found him becos last thing I'd wanna do is step on it or something terrible like that. I have breeding axolotls and I gag 50 times when I have to clean their eggs out of the filter... I can't bear to imagine finding a whole frog in the filter. I think it's possible that the other one ate him. I've had golden bell frogs (pretty different type but still a frog) and they ate similar sized or smaller frogs in the enclosure. I found a snail in my 70L tank, which was odd (must've come off a plant I bought from the store), did my regular 100% water change and clean of the tank. I completely forgot that the little thing was in there and then after the complete clean out i saw him there just sliding along the glass and it honestly bewilders me that he didn't get squashed during the cleaning process... sort of the opposite of what happened with you. Hopefully you find him or figure out what happened - I'm genuinely curious as to where he's decided to hop off to.

17. Ankers

Most shrimp can survive out of the water for a while before they drive up