HELP! Mickey Mouse Platies spines are curving then dying?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BettaBuddy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I bought 2 new platies last week. 2 days ago I noticed one of my old platies had what looked like a broken back. I put him in a net but he died today. Now, 5 more of my old platies have curved spines and clamped tails. What could this be? They're laying at the bottom of the tank. I just did a water change last Sunday.

The two new fish seem to be fine, except for one that has a clamped tail, but didn't in the store. What can I do so they don't all die?

I have 9 platies, 3 silver dollars, 5 golden tetras, and one neon tetra in my 55 gallon tank. No ammonia or nitrite, and nitrate is 30.

Attachments

Last edited:

aylad

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Looks like parasites. I'd treat with Tetra Parasite Guard or Prazipro immediately (Prazipro is gentler but TPG includes the same active ingredient with two other meds for a better chance of working).

Please note that I have no idea how cories will respond to either med.

EDIT whoops, wrong tank. Well, I don't know how the other fish in that tank will respond, either.

EDIT #2 I hate sounding "preachy" at times like this, but... if you can set up a quarantine tank for new fish in the future, it greatly reduces the chance of new fish introducing horrible diseases or parasites into your existing stock. It's a lesson many FishLore members have learned the hard way.

OP
BettaBuddy

BettaBuddy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I found 2 more dead platies this morning. Just tossed them outside. One is about to die, laying on it's side. That leaves 2 with twisted backs left (one is one of the new fish).

I used Jungle fungus tabs on the tank because I thought it might be fish tb, and that can be treated with fungus stuff in humans, so I thought I'd try it. No more new symptoms in the other fish. In 4 days I am going to do a water change (as the instructions say on the meds) and maybe add a bit of aquarium salt? or Melafix?

How can I euthanize the dying fish? I don't have anything at home to do it with, what do I need to buy? Should I euthanize the 3 remaining fish with symptoms? Or see if the meds work?

slimeneo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Euthanizing fish is a widely debated topic- but I'll tell you how I euthanize my fish.

ONLY euthanize when you're 100% sure they're not going to get better- like lying on their side on the gravel barely moving and clearly in a lot of pain. In your situation, I would wait to see if your meds work (as long as the fish are moving about OK), but if the ones that are sick get worse then you should euthanize them.

I use a small plastic cup, fill it up with water and put a lot of ice cubes in it (A LOT). Sometimes I put it in the freezer for a couple minutes, but you don't really have to as long as you put in enough ice cubes that the water hurts to touch. Then just put in the fish and he should die instantly.

In 4 days when you do water change, I wouldn't put anything else in. Sometimes they just need some clean water. Too many types of meds can actually stress them more. Good luck!

OP
BettaBuddy

BettaBuddy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I've heard of the ice method, but I'm afraid it will hurt them? I just want a quick, painless death. I've raised these fish since they were born.

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Observe your fish that are showing symptoms, see whether any of them have orange red worms sticking out of their anus. one of the possible causes of crooked spines is camellanus worm. If that is what you have, I have heard that you need a medication called levamisole.

Last edited:

slimeneo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, I've heard of the ice method, but I'm afraid it will hurt them? I just want a quick, painless death. I've raised these fish since they were born.
Well... I can't be 100% sure that it doesn't hurt them. But it's a quick death. Better than dragging it out, you know.

Did you cycle the tank prior getting the fish, or did you do a fish-in cycle? In my experience, I didn't know about the cycle until it was too late... but once I cycled the tank, the fish involved in the cycle died and showed similar symptoms as yours are, because of the high amm. and nitrite levels they endured.

OP
BettaBuddy

BettaBuddy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well... I can't be 100% sure that it doesn't hurt them. But it's a quick death. Better than dragging it out, you know.

Did you cycle the tank prior getting the fish, or did you do a fish-in cycle? In my experience, I didn't know about the cycle until it was too late... but once I cycled the tank, the fish involved in the cycle died and showed similar symptoms as yours are, because of the high amm. and nitrite levels they endured.
This tank has been set up since 2007. It's already cycled.

OP
BettaBuddy

BettaBuddy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was thinking TB. I've had 4 fish die so far. One is healed, his spine is back to normal. I just have one sick fish left. He's in a breeder's net by himself. I guess the Jungle Fungus Tabs worked because it fixed the one fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 90 65.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 25 18.2%

Top Bottom